Recently, my girlfriend got interested in Elden Ring, and I’m trying to give her some advice. She doesn’t have much experience in gaming, mostly chill games like Stardew Valley and such.

I’m afraid I’ll scare her off if I monologue about i-frames, poise damage and parry windows, so: People whose first FromSoft experience was Elden Ring, what advice did you find actually usable for getting into the game?

• shinjiikarus@mylem.eu
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Level vigor. You level your weapon first, your character second (when in doubt: smithing stones over runes). Roll into or past enemies, not backwards in a straight line. If you die multiple times to the same enemy/group of enemies go back and take your time to grind and level with a group of enemies you can best more often than not. When you catch yourself running away from mobs regularly, you are probably under leveled. Talk to everyone multiple times (this one didn’t came naturally for me and literally wrecked the fun I had during my first run).

Specific Elden Ring tips I have given other first timers: Avoid Caelid for as long as possible (easily until after Liurnia and House Caria). Go to the weeping peninsula first, before fighting Margit.

• mohKohn@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

took me a long time to figure out that I should ignore the flashing THIS WAY signs and head to weeping peninsula

• XTL@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Fromsoft: get naked and roll.

But seriously, biggest thing about Elden Ring is that you don’t need to follow any trail it gives you and you don’t need to fight each thing that comes along. Explore or watch some guide videos on how and where to get started easier.