More than a thousand Harvard students walked out of their commencement ceremony yesterday to support 13 undergraduates who were barred from graduating after they participated in the Gaza solidarity encampment in Harvard Yard.

Asmer Safi, one of the 13 pro-Palestinian student protesters barred from graduating, says that while his future has been thrown into uncertainty while he is on probation, he has no regrets about standing up for Palestinian rights.

• decivex@yiffit.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Nobody here said anything about biden, you’re just insulting people unprompted.

Edit: What exactly are you trying to accomplish by posting this?

• Xanis@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

It is related. Moreover, can’t blame him for preemptively calling out the typical bullshit and virtue signaling we’ve been seeing.

• decivex@yiffit.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Do you consider virtue signaling to be inherently bad? Because I’m pretty sure his comment also qualifies as such.

• Xanis@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

That’s not quite virtue signaling. He isn’t proclaiming support of a good cause or expressing some distinct moral correctness, he is condemning a single perspective and common response in these posts. After all, we can infer his stance, though he makes no claim towards his beliefs, all we know is what he is against. It’s a petty distinction, though I feel it helps move it away from virtue signaling.

But no, few things are inherently bad. Our interpretation and our meaning(s) behind our words or actions make them that way. Which is why people tend to fall heavily on one side of a discussion or another.

edit: I see I am getting some downvotes. I am happy to take criticism on this take. No easier way to learn than to challenge oneself to listen and then do.

• rusticus@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

I’m trying to highlight the distinction between Biden and Trump options. There are many on social media that are proclaiming they will not vote for Biden because he is “promoting genocide”. Despite the fact that every POTUS in the last 50 years has had this exact policy (supporting and providing weaponry to Israel). Despite the fact that Trump is actively in favor of genocide and fascism. The lesser of 2 evils is also known as “the better choice.”

• decivex@yiffit.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

To what end are you trying to highlight that distinction though? What is the goal or motivation for writing that?

• AhismaMiasma@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            1 month ago

Unlike some paying lip service about “red lines”, my promises are real. My red line is genocide.

You can vote for your varying levels of evil, I will not vote for genocide.

• decivex@yiffit.net
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

Personally I think it’s probably best for Americans to vote Biden, since that will give the left some more time to organize, but I get that it’s just too much for some to swallow. I’m just glad I have actual options in my country.

• Crikeste@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 month ago

It’s America, you don’t get the choice to vote against genocide.

Just like you don’t get the choice to vote against capitalism.

Democracy.

• gamermanh@lemmy.dbzer0.com
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

It’s America, you don’t get the choice to vote against genocide

If yout live in a swing state, maybe. Those of us in solid states can vote however we like as our votes don’t matter anyway

Great system we have

• decivex@yiffit.net
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 month ago

That’s not what I was asking about, what did you hope to accomplish? Are you actually trying to convince people or did you just think you’d feel better if you did?