from the team:

Hi everyone,

We’re happy to announce that the new, rewritten Proton Mail Android app is now available to all Proton users on the Google Play store!

For everyone on de-Googled Android devices, you can find the APK file here.

We’ve improved performance and reliability, with up to a 5x reduction in crashes since we started rolling out the updated version. Since the first beta, we’ve added back key features:

🗒️ create and manage your contact group lists

🔑 send password-protected emails (i.e. protect your communication with non-Proton accounts)

💣 set an expiration date to your emails

🗓️ jump directly from your inbox to your Proton Calendar

🌗 switch between light and dark mode

🔒 protect the app with biometric lock

This development provides a solid foundation for delivering new features faster in the future.

We’re looking forward to your feedback, and we’re keeping an eye on our UserVoice to help us decide which features to prioritize next.

Best,

The Proton Team

• N4CHEM@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Proton Mail used to be available on IzzyOnDroid’s F-Droid repository but I can’t find it there anymore.

Will it come back? or even better, will it come to the official F-Droid repository?

• MiltownClowns@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

obtanium+apk link

repos are nice, but there will always be a couple of stragglers. Might as well have a work around.

• N4CHEM@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

I know about Obtainium, thanks, but I prefer to avoid having several different sources for apps. Besides, F-Droid builds apps from source and checks for anti-features, so it’s a nice to have check that the app is not doing anything sketchy.

• JackGreenEarth@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Why didn’t they put it on F-Droid? And does Proton mail support connecting via SMTP or POP from third party clients, like every other mail service does, yet?

• Nelizea@lemmy.worldOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

POP from third party clients, like every other mail service does, yet?

The native Proton applications are needed due to the encryption of Proton Mail. 3rd party clients do not work for this reason.

• Nelizea@lemmy.worldOPM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Only because of the bridge, which is handling the encryption part. That works on Mac as well as on Linux also.

However an integration to 3rd party clients without such an encryption layer (Bridge) doesn’t work.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

For those unaware, proton mail bridge is a program that sets up a local proton proxy that decrypts the emails then serves them up via a local imap server. Thus the “bridge.” So Thunderbird isn’t pulling from proton, the bridge is pulling the encrypted mailbox and decrypting, Thunderbird pulls from local unencrypted bridge.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                30 days ago

The objective is to always keep your email store encrypted in transit and on proton’s server. This is a decryption relay to be used on trusted systems, decrypted with your key. It then serves it up to your email app with startls encryption and an app password, keeping the local store encrypted. Then you can set up your email client to not download a local copy, as you already have a local copy on your local proton store served by your local proton proxy server. I’d argue its more secure than accessing it through a browser, as there is less likely to be malicious add-on activity.

• shortwavesurfer@monero.town
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

How about unified push support? I’ve never gotten push notifications from the proton app since I’ve been using it in 2018 because of the fact that I do not have Google Play Services installed, so I have to actually be like a caveman and manually check my email several times a day.

• onion@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 days ago

Don’t worry, they’re keeping an eye on it! But you see, people who are serious about their privacy are a minority and not really their focus!

• NeatNit
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Did you entirely rewrite the application and then release the update with the update log: “* Stability improvements related to message sending.” ???

Edit: to cancel out the negative sentiment, good job. I personally don’t really interact with the app enough to notice that it’s changed, but if it needed to be done and you did it right, I commend you! Just seems a bit weird that the “what’s new” message is so bland. Is it even for the most recent version? The release on GitHub has a completely different changelog.

• skeptomatic@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

A setting to arrange conversations newest on top, please.

Also, maybe someone here knows what this problem is:
    I recently sent a few emails to recipients and they went to the sent folder after, as expected.
    But replies to those emails from the recipients do not come into the Inbox, I can only find them in the Sent folder afterward.
    What gives?

• drumino@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Are those mails hit by any of your inbox rules, which could move or mark them as read?

• skeptomatic@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I don’t see an option in the android app to affect rules and I don’t remember ever making a rule in the web version.
        The only thing I ever changed was to flip on the “conversation view” in web version.