With the recent password sharing crackdown, I decided to ditch my Netflix subscription and try piracy. What I miss about Netflix is scrolling through content and finding something to watch. With piracy I need to know exactly what I am looking for.

So I am wondering if it’s possible to have a Netflix like GUI but powered by piracy? And as this is the pirate world, it shows shows and movies not just from Netflix but also from the other streaming services? And finally it is available on TVs ( Samsung tizen in my case). Something like this would be the best case scenario. Wondering if someone has a similar setup?

• merthyr1831@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Front End:

Plex

• You can have multiple users,
    • tracks your progress in a series,
    • gives you imdb and soundtrack info,
    • metadata and cover art.
    • Automatically handles discoverability - Log in with your account and it’ll find your server wherever you are in the world!
    • Great app support across mobile, tv, web, and desktop.
    • Automatically syncs to films/tv folder(s) when new shows are downloaded.

Back end:

qBitTorrent

• Versatile and stable torrenting client.
    • Can control up/download speed
    • Online front end can be a lifesaver when diagnosing issues remotely.
    • FOSS

Sonarr, Radarr

• Automatically discovers torrents for your chosen shows and movies, and forwards them onto torrent client.
    • Can track unreleased content, downloading it as it becomes available.
    • Supports user-configurable quality formats to weed out torrents that don’t meet your quality or space requirements.
    • Automatically searches multiple trackers - If one tracker lacks a show, it can try another!
    • FOSS

Prowlarr

• Indexes thousands of known torrent trackers for all kinds of content, with sonarr/radarr-ready configs.
    • Add tracker to Prowlarr and it syncs to Sonarr/Radarr clients automatically
    • Add your own private trackers too with a simple interface
    • FOSS

Operating System:

DietPi

• Debian-based server OS with powerful terminal interface for managing and starting your first streaming server
    • Rock-solid stability of debian, paired with a curated packaging system that reduces risks of breaking configurations
    • Popular services are auto-configured to align with best practices, such as Nextcloud, Plex, Sonarr etc. all installing and configuring their own databases at install
    • Powerful utilities for managing disks, files, power management and other server necessities with minimal existing knowledge of the command line
    • Can be set up in a day on a raspberry pi, and be streaming torrented content by the evening!
    • Great support, both with hardware and software. The devs are active and helpful on github if you have problems.
    • Loads of tutorials for installing every single service you could need for a piracy server, from VPNs to linking services together and accessing them remotely.
    • FOSS

DNS:

freedns

• Link your IP to a friendly domain name for free.
    • Like, free. I can type in my domain anywhere on earth and access my rpi server easily.
    • Loads of choices available
    • Just log in once every 6 months to keep the DNS listing active.
    • chimmy_chongaOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Is it possible to have such a setup without the torrents but rather using a streaming website? Also does are there prepackaged setups with all these ready to use for example a raspberry pi os built with everything. I just hook it up with my NAS for storage and am good to go?

• merthyr1831@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Dietpi is pretty good to get up and going in a day or so. Loads of videos on youtube for setting up various services too :)

Open media vault might be an option over dietpi but I’ve never used it myself. Again, lots of youtube documentation:)

If you want to stream torrents, you can use stremio and torrentio which let you stream the content of a torrent instead of download, but depending on the media you watch youll find it difficult to get enough seeders to download it fast enough to stream.

The benefit of running the downloads over streaming is that a poorly seeded torrent won’t ruin my viewing experience since by the time I view it’s stored locally.

• Diffuser5593@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Using docker containers is a lot easier to manage than installing all the packages directly to the OS. Using docker compose simplifies this even more. You have a simple docker-compose.yml file and it’s usable to any other Linux environment! Just have to be aware of where your drive mount mappings are.