• Evu@mtgzone.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

I’ve been experimenting with building low-weight decks for Standard Brawl. Some observations (which may not necessarily apply to Historic Brawl):

• As far as the maindeck goes, it looks like the lowest (non-zero) weight is 6 and the highest is 45. All weights are multiples of 3 and most are multiples of 9.
    • I don’t think the card pool is deep enough to build a coherent deck of all sixes, but I’d love for someone to show me I’m wrong.
    • It seems like 0 is the minimum weight for the deck to “validate”. This is an issue because some commanders have negative weights. (No cards have negative weights when they’re in the maindeck.)
      • Honestly, it’s poor planning that exposed the weighting system; it was entirely foreseeable that sooner or later someone would submit a deck with a negative total weight, if only for laughs.
    • If a card weighs less than you think it should, there’s no incentive not to use it. Building a low-weight deck is not the same as building, say, a Pauper or Peasant deck; there are definitely some rare cards with splashy effects that can be had for cheap under the weighting system.
    • This Zur, Eternal Schemer list that I posted a while back has a weight of 729 (ish; I might have tweaked it some in the interim). More recently I built (and have been doing well with) a Ghired, Mirror of the Wilds deck that weighs in at 1,152.
    • Evolving Wilds has a weight of 9. Terramorphic Expanse has a weight of 0.

I assume there’s little or no human intervention in assigning weights. More likely they’re determined programmatically by observing the win ratios of decks containing the card.