• TurtleTourParty@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

I love cilantro, but I got the celery tastes bitter and spicy gene. So many people tell me it’s tasteless but it has a strong, terrible taste to me.

• Duranie@literature.cafe
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Celery tastes like that too me as well, but no allergy. I can eat it with no negative effects, other than the fact that I’ve had to taste celery.

• rudyharrelson@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Celery man. Everyone tells me it has no taste, but to me it tastes like an entire lawn’s worth of grass clippings compressed into a stick. Extremely pungent.

Same with cucumbers. They taste awfully strong and bitter to me.

• The_v@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Look up the “TAS2R bitter taste receptor gene family”. It’s a fun little group of genes that control how well bitterness is detected.

I am a moderate bitter taster. So I do not like celery (mildly unpleasant flavor) and prefer cucumbers that contain the recessive bi gene that stops the production of cucubitacin in the plant. The ones that contain the bt gene, the skin gets too bitter for me. This gene mostly stops the cucubitacin production in the fruit but not the plant.

• Juice@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Yeah I really don’t like celery. Cucumbers are pretty good if they’re peeled, but yeah they have a very strong taste to me, and the peel is very bitter

• MystikIncarnate@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Your celery description seems apt to me, but for me it’s much less pungent. It’s actually super mild for me, so I don’t mind it. I actually quite like celery.

• jabathekek@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

I think I have half of that gene (2/3, cilantro is nice), fresh celery tastes salty and spicy. If it’s old, then it tastes like water.

• Feathercrown@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

Any time someone tells you something is “tasteless” you should feel free to discard all of their food opinions or give them a covid test