• hlqxz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

In my opinion some tasks are better from the terminal some tasks are better from the GUI

• beigegull@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

If you figure out how to do something in the terminal, you’ve got an 80% chance of that technique still working in a decade. If you learn how to do it in the GUI, your chances in a decade are more like 10%.

• Raphael@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

How’s that time machine construction going, what year are you going to jump into?

• TheRealBoner@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Agreed. I tried to avoid using virt-manager for my vm’s… I get that it is more powerful from terminal, but man is it a lot of information to learn how to communicate.

• lka1988@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

System management utilities should have a GUI, or at least a web UI. I have a really hard time remembering the specific commands to look at my docker instance and overall system health… There’s absolutely no reason to not have that all in one dashboard.

• hamFoilHat@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Simple, go into your apps and look for the one marked terminal. Open that then do all the stuff I just said.

• Pika@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

“well there’s a program for it but, it’s super buggy, just use the command line”

• AtomicPurple@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Alternatively: “well there’s a program for it, but it has a million dependencies and hasn’t been updated in 10 years, just use the command line”

• akiЯa@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

i’ve never used linux, idk how to place an operating system on my operating system having computer, and i read that linux is very complicated, so i never tried, and i don’t see why i should. change my mind

• Blackilykat@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Honestly, if you:

• don’t care about data getting collected on an os you paid for
      • don’t care about getting ads on an os you paid for
      • don’t care about performance and have a fast computer
      • (*) can’t bother re-leaning how to do some things
      • (*) can’t bother facing and debugging some problems that you might encounter
      • (*) don’t care about being able to do things faster, at the cost of knowing exactly where to find things the moment you start using the system
      • don’t care about being able to customize any part of the system however you want

then you might want to stay on Windows.

(*) this depends on which distribution you choose. some are very similar to windows and beginner friendly.

• Autumn@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

So first caveat, I work in the IT industry. I’m admittedly used to slightly more complicated life experience but for home use, I value the “It just works” environment.

That out of the way. I switched over from full time Windows 11 to Pop!_OS. A Linux distribution built pretty much to be a “It just works” experience. Pop has been amazing so far. I’ve gotten almost all of my main games on windows to run without issue. And for those I can’t I keep a much smaller windows installation. It’s been stable, clean and I have not had to touch anything complicated at all while using the OS.

Installing is fairly easy. If you’re really unsure or not enthusiastic the Live CD is a great way to actually try out Linux without ever needing to commit. A Live CD itself is just a USB stick that you can boot from instead of your normal hard drive. Meaning you never have to touch Windows to make changes to it to try a Linux distribution out.

My take on why you would want Linux is fairly simple. You own it. Not just in that it’s something you buy. Because in most cases you don’t. But in that once it is on your system, you legitimately own everything on the file. You can change it, customize it. Remove things, you are free to do with your copy of Linux as you please. And even encouraged to. In a way Linux based operating systems make your computer personal again.