• ℕ𝕖𝕞𝕠@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Apparently there’s a thing called lucid dreaming that many people try very hard to achieve.

Most of my dreams are “lucid”.

I can also, using only my facial muscles, pull my eyelids back extra far so it looks like my eyeballs are popping out.

• morphballganon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I have a hypothesis that there is no such thing as lucid dreaming (before you get the wrong idea, I’ve done it before. My meaning is that it’s misunderstood, not that people are lying about having done it).

That feeling that you’re in control? You’re just dreaming that you’re in control. You’re just dreaming that you have the experience of choice-movement-feedback.

How is the feeling of being in control any more real than other sensations you experience in a dream?

When you experience the sensation of enlightenment in a dream, do you say you were really enlightened, or were you just dreaming that you were enlightened?

When you experience the sensation of blue in a dream, do you say there was actually blue, or were you just dreaming there was blue?

Your brain telling you you’re in control is just as suspect as your brain telling you there’s blue. They are both creations of your brain for the purpose of the dream.

Whatever action you’re taking in an attempt to demonstrate control is just as easily explained as something your brain created as dream decoration.

Remember, this is just a hypothesis.

• MicrowavedTea@infosec.pub
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

The question is, is there a practical difference between lucid dreaming and dreaming about being lucid? I like to think it’s the memory afterwards that counts.