Hello, I broke my laptop about a week ago and could use a hand figuring out the best approach for recovering the files when my new laptop arrives

The laptop was running fedora and would have used whatever encryption option is default in the fedora installer (The laptop required a password before it’d fininish booting so I’m pretty confident it was encrypted), which I believe would be LUKS?

If I understand correctly the ssd is a socketed sata drive, so I figured I’d buy a sata drive enclosure when I get my new laptop that’d let me plug it in via USB

I have the password I needed to boot when the device was working, if I get a sata enclosure can I access the files?

Any input, guidance, thoughts or suggestions are appreciated :)

• potosi@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

# cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdX mydisk

(You will be prompted for password)

# mount /dev/mapper/mydisk /mnt

Then files will be accessible under /mnt. Typically a GUI might do this for you, see gnome-disks, maybe nautilus too. There is no reason why you couldn’t access the files really, everything should work normally, given you put in the password correctly and you have the correct drivers (only have to worry about that if you compile your own custom kernel).

• Cris@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      30 days ago

Thank you so much! I’ll investe this avenue of recovery once I have the enclosure and new laptop!

I’d you don’t mind, what do you mean by correct drivers? Do I need to worry about using the same distro or a device with hardware related to the old one?

• sudo@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        30 days ago

Do I need to worry about using the same distro or a device with hardware related to the old one?

No. Only if you were doing something very weird on the old laptop or on the new laptop. In which case I’d assume you’d know what you were doing and wouldn’t be asking us.

• Cris@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          30 days ago

Thank you, I really appreciate your input!

I’d offer you like a cookie or a smooch on the cheek or something, but the internet has not mechanism for that, so just know you have my appreciation

Hope you have a great day ☺️

• bruhduh@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

You can install ssd/hdd from your current laptop to another pc and launch your os, enter password, and just copy files out of it, just remember to boot from it, enter boot priority in bios

• Cris@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      30 days ago

Unfortunately the new laptop will use and nvme m.2 drive where the old one I believe uses a regular old sata ssd, so I don’t think I can install it. Perhaps there’s a way I can do this with a old piece of junk hardware I have laying around if the enclosure and crypt setup avenue doesnt pan out

Thank you for your suggestion!

• bruhduh@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        30 days ago

Then you can also boot from live usb and “dd” whole drive from enclosure to new nvme drive, good luck in restoring your data brother