• palordrolap@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    29 days ago

It’s not about whether it works, it’s about proving that they’re keeping pace with the trends in technology that they’re not directly driving.

They’re afraid that if they don’t give that impression, their stockholders will pull their money and give it to someone who does, and since that’s what their stockholders also fear about all the other stockholders, that’s what will happen.

AI funding is so far up it’s own backside I’m not sure they’ll hear the cry of the small child pointing out that this Emperor has no clothes.

• Sentient Loom@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      29 days ago

That sounds right. But it makes no practical sense. Everybody relies on Google search. That’s a huge part of what makes them powerful. They shouldn’t screw with it, and that’s not a moral statement about what they owe to users, it’s just about self-interest. Ruining your own base product is idiotic.

• Codilingus@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        29 days ago

Tell that to Google before they replaced the long standing head of its search engine, with the head of advertising.

• palordrolap@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        29 days ago

I never said that the way they’ve gone about it is the best way to have gone about it.

Frankly, I’m not even sure what that would be, only that this ain’t it.