If so, then why?

• meeeeetch@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

Debs ran from prison (for the high crime of telling people that WWI was none of our business and people shouldn’t enlist to get turned toa pink mist in Belgium) in 1920

As for voting as a felon, that varies state to state. I don’t think there’s anyplace that allows people to vote from prison, but quite a few states let convicted felons vote once they’ve completed their sentence and any parole that follows it (and in some states, pay additional fines, which sounds a bit like a poll tax to me, but I’m not one of our nine kritarchs, so what do I know about that sort of thing?)

As for people running for office when they couldn’t vote, Elizabeth Cady Stanton ran for office well before she could have voted, and the first woman elected to Congress (Jeanette Rankin) was elected in 1916, several years before women’s suffrage was added to the constitution, though her state, Montana, had allowed women to vote already.

• Rhynoplaz@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

Sadly, Florida, where Trump lives, defers to the State of conviction, and in NY, as long as you aren’t currently in prison, you can vote.