I was curious to see what everyone likes to drink or snack on while playing D&D. I grew up on Mountain Dew and Doritos during sessions, usually with pizza if we playing through dinner (which we almost always did).

• TheAlbatross@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    28 days ago

I similarly remember lots of pizza and chip snacks with soda in my youth, but these days it’s often hummus and crudite and beer or wine. Though the DM has asked us to wait until the session feels half over before uncorking the wine…

We functionally switched to stuff that won’t muck up sheets or dice. Also, as a group in our 30’s and 40’s, more people have various dietary concerns, so veggies and bean dips help solve a lot of that.

The DM and I love to cook, so sometimes we’ll make themed dinners. Roasted, spiced mushrooms and asparagus and a kale salad for when we stayed with the druids, beer, bread and root veg for a Dwarven section of the campaign, grilled fish (that I caught earlier that day) when we started at a port village, that kinda thing.

• Sterile_Technique@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    28 days ago

Saw a post a long time ago about someone using gummy worms and bears etc as their minis, and players get to eat the ones they kill.

Food for thought. Literally.

• RebekahWSD@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    28 days ago

Soda or another liquid that is bad for me. For food, I was generally in charge of food so if I made food, it was themed! I have the Song of Ice and Fire cookbook, and when we played that system I made food from there.

• Cloaca@mtgzone.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    28 days ago

My main crew typically goes with vodka and sushi on our biweekly session.

When we have a younger/new player we go with seltzer and mixed veg/fruit/nuts.

• TheAlbatross@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      28 days ago

Vodka and sushi! What a combo! Where’d y’all get the idea for that?

I had a lot of family gatherings with vodka and pickles where we’d eat fish later, but never sushi. I’m not saying it’s a bad pairing or anything, just an unexpected and unheardof one to me

• Cloaca@mtgzone.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        28 days ago

Vodka is the typical option cause you can take it near, on the rocks, or used with a mixer. People know their limits at this point and can adjust safely.

As far a sushi we used to rotate getting takeout, but overtime we started to default to sushi. There tends to be enough variety to mix up the type of sushi each week, it keeps people from getting too full/hungry, and typically is contained enough to fit with all our play supplies.

• zeekaran@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      27 days ago

Vodka‽ If you can find shochu (not soju), please try it once instead of vodka. It pairs nicely with sushi too.

• Cloaca@mtgzone.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        27 days ago

It definitely pairs better than vodka, but vodka is a staple in the liquor setups regardless of where we have a session.

• Skyline969@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    28 days ago

Our table always drinks coffee during a session regardless of time of day. As for snacks, whatever looks appealing from the local dollar store.

• Good_morning@lemmynsfw.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    28 days ago

Often snacks like chips n dip, dinner varies, pizza or some of us will cook a stew or something. Most often we have beer or seltzer water. But we’re all in our 30s.

• BajaTacos@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    23 days ago

One of the perks of being older is we smoke or bbq to have a meal prior to the session. We’ve had brisket, chili, smash burgers, tri tip, brats, etc.

• terminhell@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    27 days ago

Sweet, Salty, Savory. It’s a winning combo. I’d keep drinks as a BYOD situation, aside from maybe having one or two 2 liters of soda or something.

• dumples@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    28 days ago

Roleplaying whiskey. Its just a bottle of whiskey that we all drink when we play

• Neato@ttrpg.network
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    28 days ago

The game I run is virtual and only 2hr so just water, sometimes alcohol.

The game I play in provides dinner ahead of time and I often make a dessert for the table.

• Aielman15@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    28 days ago

I don’t like trash food and I don’t drink energy drinks (only water), but I enjoy taking a food break during sessions, mostly because it allows me to stand up, stretch a bit and go take whatever I may want to eat that day, which improves my attention span in the second half of the session.

Sometimes it’s some fruits, others it’s a pack of potato chips or just a cup of coffee. During winter I’ll most certainly toast some bread with cheese and salumi, to keep myself warm!

I’m Italian, so it’s not difficult for me to buy brands that use high quality ingredients and are still fairly cheap to buy. And if the session stretches through dinner, it’s pizza time for everyone! Although it’s been a while since I last played a session in person, because my party is scattered all over the country, forcing us to meet online.

• Takapapatapaka@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    28 days ago

We mostly drink beer or shandy, and we use caps as minis, you can have multiple colors for teams and write letters/numbers inside to identify them But it requires to drink before any fight happens, so we always keep some stored from previous session, just in case For the food, thins that can easily be shared so pizzas like you mention, crepes, or raclette in winter