Happy Last Day of May!

This ended up a bit long, you can safely skip the details, if you want.

Played Octopath Traveler a bit more. Have recruited 7 characters, just last one, Primrose, remaining. It’s getting pretty repetitive though, and I am getting a bit bored of it. Playing a single chapter of each character, and then for all intents and purposes, forgetting that character in any kind of narrative just feels like waste of time.

I thought maybe I shouldn’t have recruited everyone, and continued with the story once I had 4 characters, but the chapter 2 of some characters require level 27, or in case of some, level 22. And after going through the map, recruiting 7 characters, my highest level character is level 21. So, even if I hadn’t recruited them, I would’ve to grind a lot to reach chapter 2.

So, while I am playing it a bit here and there, combat is interesting, but without any kind of story, I am not feeling much reason to keep on going with it. Haven’t fully decided to abandon it yet though, will think about it over the weekend. If you have played the game, any opinions?

Other than that, still playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance, really enjoying the game, specially now that I am over the starting weak phase, where everything is very slow and difficult to do.

My one main gripe with the game is that it really want you to use your thieving skills. Usually in games like these I go with Master of All build, level up everything and do everything without any worry, but this time I decided to role play as a ‘Knight’ who doesn’t do things like stealing, pick pocketing and things like that, but I get so many people who just straight up ask me to steal something, without me ever doing any stealing in the game. The protagonist is an actual Knight in the game, why does a random passerby think he would steal something for them? Or frame someone for them? Or any other illegal activity? Instead of just capturing them and getting them arrested?

Other than that, narrative is fun, side quests are also interesting, leveling up your character makes significant difference, helping you feel you journey from a commoner to a Knight.

Well, what about all of you? What have you been playing lately?

• Phelpssan@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    25 days ago

It’s getting pretty repetitive though, and I am getting a bit bored of it. Playing a single chapter of each character, and then for all intents and purposes, forgetting that character in any kind of narrative just feels like waste of time. And after going through the map, recruiting 7 characters, my highest level character is level 21. So, even if I hadn’t recruited them, I would’ve to grind a lot to reach chapter 2.

That’s exactly why I ended up dropping Octopah - the stories being too disconnected didn’t look good to me, and the game felt way too grindy. It’s interesting that I also dropped it on a similar timeframe, I finished all initial chapters but barely started the second batch.

Finished Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice, part of the Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy!

Case 5 was interesting but flawed. It’s broken into two halves, starting with a a civil trial where Apollo and Phoenix are defending different sides - a novel idea but the writing of this section was just bad. Feels like everyone except Apollo has an “act stupid” debuff applied (in particular Phoenix) which hurt a lot my enjoyment.

The second half as much better, and gave us a nice conclusion to the arc in Khura’in. However, while the stakes were supposed to be higher, it didn’t feel as impactful to me as the third case. I think one of the biggest problems is that we didn’t have enough time to get attached to the new characters from this side - Nahyuta is underdeveloped and boring, likely the weakest of the “main” prosecutors in the entire series, Dhurke was awesome but got wayyyy too little screentime, same with Inga and Ga’ran. The only character I got really attached was Rayfa, she had a nice development arc over the game.

Finally, the special case was a nice throwback for fans of the original trilogy - an old-school case set in Japan America with Phoenix and Maya teaming up against Edgeworth, and even the return of Larry. The dynamic of that trio was as good as I remember, and the case was solid.

Overall a good game, and I hope we see more of the series. Maybe Capcom will give us a package of the two Investigation games? Maybe we could even hope for a new entry? I’d take either option happily.

Playing 1000xRESIST!

A lot of people saying good things about this game combined with my love for sci-fi convinced me to give it a shot.

It’s an adventure/“walking simulator” game with an interesting setting: Humanity was destroyed by a plague, leaving behind a single survivor. All the main characters are clones of her, and you play as “Watcher”, one of the clone sisters whose role is to relieve and preserve the memories of their “mother”.

Finished Chapter 1, and it left me with an excellent impression. Let’s how it goes from here.

• slimerancher@lemmy.worldOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

Yeah, the game is so beautiful, and gameplay is also not bad, but they messed it up with narrative, and lack of any side quests.

1000xRESIST sounds interesting. Looking forward to your full review.

• timo_timboo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    27 days ago

I wanted to love Octopath Traveler. I loved the music, story, battle system and visuals.

Unfortunately, I didn’t get much further than you are right now. Twice. I tried it twice.

The reason I gave up 2 times was the grinding. It gets ridiculous after you get the 8 characters. It got bad enough that it really destroyed any fun I had with the game. It really sucks, because I like everything else about OT.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

Yeah, completely agree. I wonder if they improved the things in the sequel, as I have heard it improves upon pretty much every aspect of the first game.

What about you? Playing anything currently?

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        26 days ago

I really hope the sequel is better. My brother got me a copy for my birthday a while ago. Haven’t played it yet, though I do look forward to it. I also heard it’s better than the first one. I’ll see.

I’m mainly playing Okami on PS2 currently, but that’s not a Nintendo console of course. When it comes to Nintendo, I’m playing Mario Kart DS every now and then. I’m finding a new appreciation for this game somehow. It’s really good. Great multiplayer game, cool courses, good music and of course the nice battle mode (forgot what it was called).

I’m also playing Super Mario 3D World again. I have a savefile that I started in, what, 2019? Got really far and played through the story, getting every green star along the way. I basically 100%ed the game until the Bowser world. For some reason, I stopped after that. I don’t remember planning that. I somehow just turned my Wii U off for the day and never returned to that game for some reason, I don’t know. In any case, I started playing through the extra worlds. 3D World really has a lot of endgame content. I’m interested to see if I can finally bring that savefile to 100%, even if it took me years. It’s still a great game btw, in case you never played it. I highly recommend it.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          25 days ago

In this weekly thread, we don’t mind where you play, you can mention all your current games. For instance, I am playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance on PS5, and sometimes people mention what they are playing on steam etc.

I probably wont’ be playing the second one any time soon, so would love to hear what you think about it, whenever you get around to playing it.

Okami is on my wishlist, may get around to playing it this year, as I have dedicated this year to playing my older wishlisted games. Would probably just get Okami HD on Switch though, but let’s see when I feel like it. Currently itching for some action RPGs, or maybe a shooter.

Super Mario 3D World is very good. I don’t recall if I did all the endgame content or not, but I did finish it. I would actually like something like that again.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            25 days ago

In this weekly thread, we don’t mind where you play, you can mention all your current games

Oh, that’s great to hear

would love to hear what you think about it

I’ll let ya know when the time comes :)

Would probably just get Okami HD on Switch though

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense. Higher resolution, maybe better controls, and of course on a newer system. I just like to check games out on the console they originally released on, even if it’s usually not the best way to play anymore. I think it’s just interesting to see how a game was originally designed without any changes made to it.

Super Mario 3D World is very good. I don’t recall if I did all the endgame content or not, but I did finish it. I would actually like something like that again.

That’s why I came back to it. Having many, shorter levels is nice if you just want to play a while without sinking hours into a game at a time (but that’s still possible of course. Replaying a level mutiple times just to get every star, stamp or golden flagpole is cool, too). And besides that, 3D World is just a good game. Great music, controls, level design and a harder difficulty later if you want a real challenge.

• Eezyville@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    27 days ago

I bought Octopath Traveler in 2018 and haven’t beat it yet. In fact the only game I’ve “beaten” are the Zelda games and Skyrim.

• Twinklebreeze @lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    27 days ago

The new Paper Mario. I’ve played it many times growing up, but never finished it for one reason or another (ADHD). I’m further than I’ve even gotten and excited to beat it this time.

On an unrelated note, my switch battery desynced or something and the fix is to play it until the battery is dead and it stops you, then charge it for 5+ hours. I’ve done this three times now and it gets better each time. I think it is finally fixed now.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

Oh, that’s nice. I just finished original Paper Mario earlier this year, so don’t want to jump into another Paper Mario so soon. But it’s very high on “games-to-play” list.

Ahan, never heard of this desynced issue, but glad that you got it fixed.

• sdcSpade@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    27 days ago

I have started the final DLC of Sparks of Hope, the Rayman DLC. Now, I’ve not been particularly excited for this one since I’m not a Rayman-guy, but it’s disappointing he doesn’t get to meet the Mario characters at all. It’s just two of the Rabbids. Which, in a way, makes this the least cross-overy cross-over in the series. But on a plus-side, the battle rankings are back! It’s just a bit of ‘too little, too late’, considering you only have three characters, so it’s not like you can do much to ‘adapt’ to a map to improve your performance. You can adjust your sparks, but Rayman can’t use them, so even that part has limited customizability.

I’ve looked into the first game’s DLC again, and it’s about the same length as the two main DLCs of the sequel combined. And in a game like this, where you level up and customize your characters, I think one meaty DLC is better than two shorter ones. Let me actually invest time into the skill trees and grow my characters instead of rolling the credits as soon as I get something going. Sometimes, less is more.

In Arkham Knight, I finished off Red Hood in less than two hours. Unless a map required me to remain unseen, I’d just finish off the challenges and start shooting everyone else. It’s honestly crazy how easily you get away with this, but that’s not exactly why I’m doing these Predator challenges. The Red Hood Story had enemies with bullet-proof vests, but they didn’t use them at all for the maps. It’s a bit disappointing, they always remove enemy types that a character can’t deal with but don’t add the new ones that were made specifically for them!

Next up is the character I’ve saved for last: Harley Quinn. I just think this is going to be the hardest character to use because A, she’s the only character without a grapple, so there’s very little upward mobility (my primary way of escaping), and B, she has no silent takedowns. I believe her on-screen prompts even say ‘Loud Takedown’. She is going to drag me out of my comfort zone kicking and screaming and I am scared. At least her personalized version of Detective Mode is pretty fun. The scribbles on the walls, the giggling, what little remains of Harleen Quinzel trying to talk sense into herself.

In any case, it seems like I’ll be beating both of my games around the same time, and I believe I started them around the same time, too. That’s not how I usually do this and it’s weird that it’s happening again.