• Zoot@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    27 days ago

You should be able to get insurance on your tools. I know a few of my locksmith buddies have done this. Keep a well itemized list of your tools.

It really sucks, and I for one don’t even do this. If it is a huge worry though, it should be something you can look into.

• PM_Your_Nudes_Please@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      26 days ago

If you’re a contractor, you should be carrying your own insurance anyways. Lots of beginners don’t bother setting up an LLC and insurance, because they don’t realize how bad it can be if they have an accident on the job. If you haven’t set up that LLC and have insurance at a bare minimum, then you’re in for a world of shit if someone gets hurt.

Source: Was a freelancer for a decade. Half of the goobers I worked around were sole owner/operators of an LLC, and the others were completely open to personal liability if they dropped something on someone.

• xthexder@l.sw0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      26 days ago

I’m not a professional, but all my powertools are covered under my renter’s/hone insurance. It’s incredibly cheap compared to car or health insurance.

Edit: I guess this doesn’t count if the tools are stored in a vehicle parked anywhere but in my garage. There’s definitely some policies available that will cover the full contents of your vehicle though.