• protist@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    27 days ago

Australia’s car manufacturing industry is basically non-existent, they import almost all of them. The EU and US have huge manufacturing bases they’re trying to protect

• protist@mander.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        27 days ago

Really? I don’t know a ton about this, but it looks like American and Japanese manufacturers are the only ones to have ever operated in Australia

• Aradina [She/They]@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          26 days ago

We had Australian made and designed cars, then gm bought out Holden and ran it into the ground before shuttering the brand entirely.

• Heavybell@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          26 days ago

I’m not super into cars, but it’s my understanding Holden was a local manufacturer that got bought out by GM? Or if not that, then they were making specifically Australian vehicles despite being part of GM, much like Ford Australia used to. Both ended up shutting down operations down here, so now we have nothing local.

• Owljfien@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      27 days ago

Adelaide killed big chunks of their public transport system to appease Holden, who fucked off anyway. Still salty.

• Minarble@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

Thanks to Joe Hockey and the LNP government who decided it wasn’t strategically important to have high value manufacturing in Australia.