cross-posted from: https://kbin.social/m/RPG/t/57628

[Summary:

Today is an in-depth look at the origins of Dungeons and Dragons, and the famous (and not so) D&D clones that came after. We go over some outstanding innovations that D&D introduced to a mainstream audience. This took forever, a lot of these games are really old and poorly documented. please give it a shot. ]

OP Note: this was one of the highest effort videos we put together, but mostly went under the radar. I won’t be posting any more OC to keep with the spirit of not using this space to promote my own works, but I found out about a bunch of cool games and overall some history on the ttrpg space that I think others would enjoy too.

• pascal@lemm.ee
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Here’s what I didn’t like:

The beginning of the video was a bit confusing and I still don’t know what you were saying and what direction wanted to go with the video.

The fact you didn’t mention Chtulu and GURPS at all, is almost criminal.

The ending of the video. And I tell you why: after the first minutes I actually enjoyed your video report. And the more I was watching and the more you were talking, the more I was sold. I wanted more information about AD&D, but I was hypnotized by the stories and watched the whole thing. I actually learnt something from your work. And then the video ends on a weird climax with a camera apparently filming from the ceiling and barely two words about another clone, but no conclusion. This video is a great book that’s missing the last page.

Overall I give it a 7/10 and I shared it with my RPG friends, please keep on keeping on.

• fredzBXGame@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Not bad but no mention of Empire of the Petal Throne, No mention of 90’s Storyteller RPG Craze. No mention of the OSR Movement