I’ll start, people I talk on Discord with know more of my music preference than IRL people I meet with, because rejection sensitivity i guess

• AstralPath@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Music taste. I’m a metal fan for the most part and I have my own project band that I release music under.

People always ask about my music (which is very kind of them) but I never actually want to discuss it with people because literally no one gets it or has any idea of what I’m referring to. I don’t even make weird music its just that 98% of people have no fucking clue what black metal is or what progressive/atmospheric means in that context. God forbid they ask me to put music on in the car or at a party. I deflect that as best as I can.

People think I’m into FFDP or Slipknot or best case something like Spiritbox or Sleep Token (last two are okay actually) but what I actually want to talk about is how amazing Artificial Brain balances the brutality of death metal and slam stylings with the jangly dissonance of the avant-garde black metal scene a-la Deathspell Omega, or how Navene Koperweis manages to be ahead of his time in almost every project he touches or how The Contortionist released one of the greatest progressive albums (Language) of all time.

My ADHD has me dumping massive tangents on people the minute it seems like they have any clue about anything under the dust on the upper crust of the scene. Makes it hard to connect with people because I hyperfocus on this shit so any time I talk about it, I go hard. I’m conscious of this issue hence my hesitation to open up about it.

The worst is when someone finds out I play guitar. They always wanna hear some cowboy chord stuff and I just don’t really know any. Music to me isn’t a party trick and that’s kinda what it feels like everyone wants out of me.

I just try to avoid all of it.

• AstralPath@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        30 days ago

Our first release isn’t as progressive as the unreleased stuff I have but its still pretty cool. I’m still proud of it after 8 years. Its on streaming sites if you rather stream there. Hope you enjoy it :)

FYI, first track intro is long lol as was the style at the time.

https://astralpath.bandcamp.com/album/an-oath-to-the-void

If you like dark folk, check out Ulvesang. Ana played bass on the Astral Path record.

• echindod@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          29 days ago

This album, An Oath to the Void is fucking amazing! I really like it. This is awesome, and I’m still a sucker for those long intros. Bring 'em back I say! This is definitely going into the cart for the next bandcamp friday.

Any chance you will re-release any physical media? (and I am eagerly looking forward to any new music!)

• AstralPath@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            29 days ago

Dang I’m super stoked that you like it! Thanks for giving it a shot. :)

I’m not sure about another run of physical media at the moment. I suppose it would all hinge on whether or not I can finalize another EP or album for release.

I’ve got four tracks mostly complete save for lyrics and vocals which is turning out to be the hardest part. The first album’s themes have glimmers of hope and most of the new material shares a similar atmosphere to the first release since a lot was written shortly after the first album, but the world has changed a lot since 2015 and my current state of mind is making it hard to write fitting lyrics. I guess you could say the misanthropy is creeping in.

I actually just found a sealed copy of the album in storage. If you’d like it, send me a DM (that’s a thing on Lemmy, right?) and I’ll get it shipped to you if you’re willing to cover shipping.