• Laser@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    26 days ago

Cryptocurrency with Tor has unironically done more for drug safety than most administrations worldwide. I hate the framing “fake money for criminals” because while there are despicable crimes, not all of them use cryptocurrency, in fact USD was the most common last time I checked, OTOH what constitutes a criminal can be an arbitrary rule. Woman in Texas having an abortion paying with crypto? Fits the definition but I’m not sure people here would condemn it.

I’m not happy with how cryptocurrency turned out with the huge speculational bubble, NFTs, not even a huge fan of smart contracts but I think the idea of a decentralized and maybe even anonymous ledger is very much in the spirit of the fediverse.

• MindTraveller@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      26 days ago

I’m gonna pile on the “not happy” side with environmental concerns. You see, with Bitcoin, if crypto mining was as easy as just verifying the next block in the chain, it would be easy and the market would flood. You’d have hyperinflation. The system controls the rate at which new bitcoins are minted by artificially increasing the computational difficulty of the problem. And the end result is that crypto mining intentionally wastes power output comparable to that of a country.

• sep@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        26 days ago

Calling hashing “mining” was probably the most stupid thing in bitcoin. Since it have nothing to do with minting new coins. It is tru that miners get a bonus in addition to the fees of the block when successful. But that bonus is reduced regularly and will eventually go away.
        The power consumption used by hashing became quickly insane by companies chaseing a quick buck.

• Victoria Antoinette @lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        26 days ago

the whole Blockchain could be run by two raspberry pis, and the cap is still limited to 21million. I suspect you don’t know what you’re talking about

• littleblue✨@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

That’s not even touching on the glaring fact that this anti-crypto sentiment is propped up by those who stand to benefit from downplaying its utility - until they’ve got all their plans ready to fire, of course. The same is true of cannabis these days, and (for those that read) was the same for alcohol only a little while ago, and tobacco before that. There is nothing in this current timeline that will be allowed to attack the economic power dynamic, much less correct it. This hype is as much a pre-packaged and deftly engineered product as the military-sports complex is, but where is the conversation on that, citizens? 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Zealousideal_Fox900@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      26 days ago

Crypto massively helped me when the banks wanted 45 bucks for an international transfer for my buddy to send me money for something I made him. Fuck banks