Its like Hillary walking into a working class kitchen for the first time.

They’ve been shielded from even critical support of China and other AES for so long they literally, not figuratively, literally cannot process that people exist that have beliefs that aren’t Reddit Approved. They immediately assume it’s bots or wumao. Human beings can’t possibly hold these beliefs, so they must be Oriental hordes or actual robots.

• lud@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

What you’re not allowed to do is advocate for the destruction of the Chinese state, just like you’re not allowed to do that in every fucking country, including the west.

Of fucking course am I allowed to do that.

Also, like I said go to bed, it’s very late in the UK.

• lud@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I don’t live in a police state so I don’t feel the need to protest.

But yes I think the discussion can end here.

I hope that one day you get that freedom of press and speech is a good thing, until then, have a nice day.

• GarbageShoot [he/him]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

“My country is better because it gives me the right to do something that I would openly never do nor recommend of my fellow citizens of that country”

• lud@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Just because I don’t feel the need to do it doesn’t mean I wouldn’t do it. Huge difference. If you don’t see the difference you should really go somewhere else.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

Just because I don’t feel the need to do it doesn’t mean I wouldn’t do it. Huge difference.

Actually it does mean that you wouldn’t do it in the sense that you won’t do it now or in the future, by your own admission! What you do in your imagination in some Red Dawn alternate reality doesn’t fucking matter and is not a good grounding for discussing political theory.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  11 months ago

Do you imagine rioting is legal?

What I’m saying is that a right that you can be confident you won’t ever use (and would discourage your countrymen from using on the same basis) is one that doesn’t matter, especially in the absence of rights that do have a material impact, like a right to housing, where China is imperfect but incomparably better than the US and friends. Fun fact: Venezuela is among the best in the world in this respect despite its poverty.

• lud@lemm.ee
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    11 months ago

I am absolutely not saying that China hasn’t accelerated extremely fast out of poverty and all that.

It’s absolutely incredible how much has been accomplished.

But, I am extremely against the Chinese state on many issues. Here are a few:

• it’s treatment of uyghurs
                    • it’s suppression of information and opinions.
                    • It’s invasive surveillance.
                    • A lacking freedom of expression and assembly
                    • A lacking freedom of religion and belief
                    • The fact that they use the death penalty (yes I know that a few other countries also uses the death penalty, and I don’t like that either)
                    • Lacking LQBTQ rights

China doesn’t have to do these things to do all the good things they do for their population. They just choose to anyway, because the government wants to stay in power or something. Whatever the reason is, I don’t think it’s justifiable.

• Sickos [they/them, it/its]@hexbear.net
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  11 months ago

Ok I’m not gonna read the context here because ain nobody got time for this much internet bullshit, but

@lud@lemm.ee So I should start a riot just because I can?

YES. ALWAYS.

• SuperNovaCouchGuy2 [any]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I don’t live in a police state so I don’t feel the need to protest.

The circus monkey who does not move to escape will never feel it’s chains.

• lud@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Why would I advocate for the assassination of literally anyone? I am not crazy. Also I am not American.

• SuperNovaCouchGuy2 [any]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

So you are happy with the fact that your head of state is performing genocide against the poor, the marginalized, and citizens of the 3rd world? That’s a bit crazy man ngl

• brain_in_a_box [he/him]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I like how you instantly backed down from “I can call for the destruction of the state!” to “I can’t, but I wouldn’t want to anyway.”