• xantoxis@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    25 days ago

He also exploited customers, and partners, his ex-wife, the goodwill bestowed on the tech industry in the early 2000’s, bookstores across the country,

• bigFab@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    25 days ago

He exploit much more than workers. He payed almost no taxes to the countries where he sells, abused monopoly tricks to get rid of competition and started the business before EU had proper regulation on internet market and privacy.

• Zagorath@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      25 days ago

He payed almost no taxes to the countries where he sells

Where’s that “payed/paid” bot when you need it?

Anyway, I remember when the Australian government first required online purchases from Amazon etc. to pay the same tax brick & mortar stores have long had to pay. The change was brought in by our conservative government and so naturally a lot of people criticised that move as being at the behest of ol’ Harvey (the outspoken conservative owner of a big retail company). But really, it was just an obvious move and a rare W from the LNP levelling the playing field and requiring large multinationals to pay their fair share.

• No_Ones_Slick_Like_Gaston@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    25 days ago

Ackchually was creating a digital fiefdom where servants have no option but to obey in what seems to be a market but doesn’t behave like one.

But yes tat included worker exploitation.

• Cowbee@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      25 days ago

Capitalist profit is exploitation. Labor can be beautiful, if owned by the Workers.

• Rediphile@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        25 days ago

I wasn’t referring to any form of physical work, I mean specifically within capitalism. Be it Amazon or otherwise.

• Urist@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          25 days ago

I think you might be better understood if you refer to employment instead.