Airbnb owner claims holiday makers running cables out the window is theft if electricity.

• Nach [Ohio]@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

We once stayed at an Airbnb in Florida. The property owners were not local. They had an employee come give us an orientation to the house upon check in. During the check-in he had us read the electric meter. When we left we had to read the meter again. The electric rate was in the rental contract so it became part of our final bill. It was a little strange but it made sense that we would pay for what we used.

• madcaesar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

🤣 I really, really don’t get the appeal of airbnb… It’s like the worst part of homeownership, while also paying hotel prices. From cleaning rooms to now paying for electricity… What is even the point? Not to mention whenever I check the prices they are basically on par with hotels. Absolutely bananas.

• quicksand@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

It used to be a cheap and awesome alternative to hotels. You could rent a house for the price of a hotel. Or rent a room for far cheaper than a hotel. Now, greed took over, everyon wanted to get in on it, and it is much less reliable and trustworthy than it was before. I don’t even check AirBNB anymore, just opt for hotels

• pedro@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Depends on where you live and what you rent. Here, in France, it’s a lot cheaper to rent a full house for a week vacation for 2 families (let’s say 4 adults 5 kids) than renting 2 or 3 hotel rooms.

Also at Airbnb you have a full house with commodities which you don’t at an hotel. So to the price of the room you need to add restaurants and laundry costs.

There are alternatives in France, other renting networks which predate Airbnb. But Airbnb killed the market because it’s so easy for the renter and the owner

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

We had two families staying at a house with a pool. We had a kitchen and plenty of room for everyone. I still think it makes sense in certain cases. The extra electric charge at this property was out of the ordinary, but I suspect the pool had a heater which used a lot of power.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Some hotels charge a hidden “resort fee” and $20 a night for parking. So yes I really could see a hotel charging a fee to charge your car.

• Chris@rabbitea.rs
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Chargers at hotels are usually regular public ones, so you pay the regular public charging cost.

For a holiday home, if it has a charger it’s probably just added onto the cost.