link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    vor 28 Tagen

Pretty despicable if you ask me.

Despicable to lie to people whose entire jobs are to artificially raise the appearance of certain results, not based on what the user wants, but based on how much the site wants to be seen? People who primarily serve to turn search results into defacto ads by getting their clients to the top? People whose “expertise” involve the most effective ways to mislead people onto garbage websites?

“Search engine optimization” is a bullshit name for an industry that fundamentally undermines search engines. Google is no saint but the whole SEO industry can take their indignation about this and blow it out their ass.

• BertramDitore@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      vor 28 Tagen

You’re totally right about the SEO industry. My comment wasn’t meant as an endorsement of SEO, I agree it’s one of the internet’s most fundamental problems. I’m just so frustrated by how consistently google lies about these things. Their first impulse, in so many different situations, is to immediately tell a bald-faced lie, then double down on the lie, and then when the truth comes out, they somehow always seem to get a pass. That’s what’s despicable to me.

• Rekorse@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        vor 28 Tagen

Its no different than them declining to answer if asked what their secrets are.

Do you really think that if someone manages to ask a question in a very specific wording that they would be forced to give a straight answer?