• PhlubbaDubba@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    26 days ago

Are there good people to see for back pain? Because I feel like looking for that is gonna turn up chiropractors as well and I’m not so sure I should even trust them with that shit.

• BrotherL0v3@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

Physical therapists! I swear by physical therapy. I had sciatica for about a year, and after a few weeks of physical therapy, it was 100% gone.

The doctor I went to before that said basically “lose weight and come back in 6 months”. My first PT session, the therapist did some deep tissue thing to my lower back and (temporarily) made the pain go away almost completely. She was like “Yeah you have an injured muscle that tenses up weird now, do these exercises at home and it should clear up” and ended up being 100% right.

• GratefullyGodless@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        25 days ago

I second this. I have a bulging disc on my spine, and the PT taught me stretching and core strengthening exercises, and nowadays I only have problems when I over exert myself. PT worked wonders.

• DSkou7@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

Probably some combination of doctors and a physical therapist. A good general practitioner should be able to refer you to someone.

• The Picard Maneuver@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      26 days ago

I’m not sure, but I do know that everyone I’ve ever known to go to a chiropractor for back pain has had poor results. Relief for a few days, then booking their next appointment, rinse and repeat, until eventually they stop wasting money on it.

• bobs_monkey@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        26 days ago

Well yeah, that’s the rub with chiropractic. All they’re really doing is providing temporary relief, not addressing the root cause of the issue. It’s why you see people going to a chiro weekly for years, spending all that money, but still end up going as a routine. It never occurs that an actual doctor would prescribe a treatment regiment that would alleviate their need to see them, but that’s not the business model of chiropractic.

• Sonicdemon86@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

Physical therapy is what I use for my neck and back pain. They do massage then work the muscles and give out exercises for me to do at home.

• EtherWhack@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      26 days ago

Chiropracty is the equivalence of some random Joe seeing someone doesnt doesnt have a pulse and pulling the cable out of a lamp to shock them.

Sure it may cause a localized release of endorphins that may make the pain temporarily subside, but like using a defibrillator without knowing the patient’s heart rhythm, you’d carry a huge risk of doing more harm than good

Eta: Forgot to add that physical therapy would be the first stop. If there is damage that may need medical intervention, it would be an orthopedist.

• acetanilide@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

If you go to a physical therapist, make sure they actually consider your other health issues (if any).

My recent experience: I tried multiple PTs. One said they were familiar with my issues, but kept trying to make me do things that were painful and then tried to gaslight me by saying I wasn’t actually in pain. Another one didn’t even ask about my other health issues (which absolutely affect their work), and then proceeded to send like 6 different assistants in to guide me through the exercises. None of them asked me how the exercises were for me and I wasn’t even told how long I was supposed to do them for. I finally just booked an appointment with a PT that I already know is good, but I can’t get in for a few months and it’s a couple hours round trip to go in person. It sucks but at least with them I can trust relatively well that they aren’t going to actively harm or gaslight me.