• cmnybo
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

A lot of people see articles showing how to do something and it uses the terminal and they think that’s the only way to do it. In reality, it’s just easier to say “copy and paste these commands” than it is to walk someone through how to do it in a GUI.

• yala@discuss.online
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      24 days ago

Furthermore, a CLI instruction is DE-agnostic. So you don’t need to cover the same topic with explanations for at least 3/4 desktop environments. GUI instructions also change a lot faster than their CLI counterparts; so by providing the commands one provides the method with the best longevity. Overall, it’s just so much more efficient.

• 474D@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      24 days ago

Exactly, I switched to Linux mint a year ago and I’ve used the terminal like… twice lol.

• constantokra@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        24 days ago

I’m glad you’re happy with Linux. Sometimes I find it hard to believe that things have progressed that far. I’m stuck with the feeling that gui settings and such aren’t reliable, because they didn’t used to be. Moreso, I just know how to do things in the terminal because that’s how I’ve done them for decades.

But you do you. Its great to have options.

• Max-P@lemmy.max-p.me
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      24 days ago

Yeah, a single sudo mv command can easily be several steps in a GUI, possibly error prone too. Because if you do it in the GUI you have to navigate all the way to where the source file is, cut it, navigate to where it needs to go, paste it there. Or you can paste the command in a terminal, done in 0.1 seconds.

If I want some information from someone, I can cook a big oneliner to copy paste that will give me exactly the information I want instead of needing a dozen screenshots all coming from different places and programs.

As long as you can trust the person feeding you the commands, I can get just about anything working on your computer effortlessly.