Saw a article on a large number of gamers being over 55 and then I saw this which I believe needs to be addressed in our current laws.

• BarbecueCowboy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    25 days ago

Pay closer attention to purchasing items on steam, they purposefully avoid using words like ‘own’ or even ‘buy’. You ‘Add to Cart’ and ‘Purchase’ and when you buy something, it says: “Any digital items in this order are now registered to your account on Steam. To access your items, simply visit your library in Steam whenever you’re ready.” I felt like I owned it when I paid money for it and that’s kind of the trick, but reading the wording definitely changes things.

On Steam’s end, it was already decided long ago. I’d say a lot of it is contractual and Steam likely couldn’t change it if they wanted to, but then they were also involved in drawing up the contracts.

• kernelle@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      25 days ago

Excuse the pun but I’m not buying it lmao, half of my Steam library I bought in a physical store and had no fine print indicating I wasn’t actually “buying” the game. Steam might try a rugpull people but you cannot go against civil law common law, they might force you into a contract but at least where I live they wouldn’t have a leg to stand on.

Edit: My law courses were not in English

• SlothMama@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        24 days ago

I promise we have no rights to digital content from a legal perspective. You are just now waking up to the reality.