• halcyoncmdr@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    25 days ago

I loved my Palm Prē. So many things they innovated that we take for granted now.

Such a shame they weren’t able to stick around long enough to properly compete.

• Lizardking13@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      25 days ago

Me too. Loved that thing. I remember when I was able to truly multitask and switch applications seamlessly. It was great. I still feel like iOS and android don’t switch between apps as smoothly as I was able to do on my pre.

• 3migo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

Petition to bring back full qwerty portrait oriented keyboard sliders like this. I miss this hardware style.

• BearOfaTime@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      24 days ago

Palm had the opportunity and missed it.

Build a new OS, one with support for existing apps (granted, they’d have limited ability to interact with the modern Palm OS), and you get to keep existing customers.

OH how I miss Palm. Splashshopper is still a better shopping list app than anything I use today, I used to play Monopoly on my Treo, and watch movies from the SD card when I was traveling (but boy it used battery).

• Mango@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        24 days ago

They probably designed the stuff to be useful so they could sell phones instead of app makers who wanna extract extra money with their apps.

• Southern Wolf@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    24 days ago

WebOS really was so hard ahead of its time. A card based interface, gesture-based navigation, unified and always online email and account systems. There were many things WebOS did that we take for granted now, yet they did it no less than 5 years before Android or iOS. Really it was just the Palm Pre’s hardware (I had a Palm Pre Plus) that held it back. Some aspects of it were already a bit dated, even in 2010.

• trag468@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    25 days ago

I had one. I really liked it but there were a couple of major downsides I remember. If you had to reboot it, it took many minutes to come back up. It also had the build quality of a sand castle. My wife and I both went through multiple devices in the couple of years we had them. It was my first smart phone.