• ganksy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    20 days ago

Hybrids are dinosaurs. If we have to drag you both kicking and screaming into the 21st century, you can go extinct along with them.

• Clusterfck@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 days ago

The infrastructure for a lot of rural America is not there to support EVs. The closest charger to me is 100 miles away. There’s a town 30 miles away that got grant money to put in a whole two chargers at a gas station.

I am totally ready to be all in on EVs, but I also would like something faster to charge my car than the few hours I could do off a 50 amp circuit in my house. When the closest Walmart is 30 miles away and closest department store is 100 miles away, a 250 to 300 mile range vehicle definitely brings range anxiety to front of everyone’s mind.

That’s not even mentioning the fact that I just remodels my house and spent the money to put a 50 amp outlet outside by my driveway. Any other house where I live would require a construction crew to be ready for that kind of power requirements.

• ganksy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        19 days ago

Yes but we only have this poor state of EV infrastructure because they have dragged their feet. I also live in a rural area that is completely unprepared. Walmart is the only real store in town aside from a small, overpriced grocer. Everything I need is 50 minutes away. It’s not going to be completely possible for people in our situation in the near future but if hybrids are on the front burner for the big car corps, ICE will be still be a major source of profit. With EVs in the focus, there will be plenty of hybrids for the foreseeable future.