• Lord Wiggle@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    26 days ago

I’m going to move to Mexico I guess. Here in The Netherlands, as well as most of the European countries, right wing extremism is on the rise. Who would have thought it would be Mexico to show we don’t have to live in a dystopian shit show.

• not_amm@lemmy.ml
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      26 days ago

If you do or know someone that will do, please take into consideration that the housing market in México, right now, has been favoring foreigners and that in some areas, they’ve displaced the locals and raised prices so much that they can’t afford to be there anymore (be for shopping, working, etc.). Please don’t contribute to this and research before, do not try to pay in euros/dollars, come legally and work legally.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        26 days ago

That’s seriously fucked up. I wouldn’t want to contribute to that. Sadly, I’ve seen this shit way to often and I strongly oppose to it.

• FarFarAway@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

Also, depending on what you move, make sure to take into account areas with drought, and future rain and heat patterns. Climate change is only going to get worse. Make sure you have a secure water supply to work with.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        25 days ago

Ok so I’m not moving for the coming 10 years for sure, and if I’m moving it probably won’t be Mexico. But the climate change thing is something I worry about. I live in the Netherlands, most parts are below sea level. The dykes are being reinforced, but the plans for now are finished in about 10 years and won’t be high and strong enough in about 5 years, so we need to start to reinforce it even more 5 years before the current plans are being completed. At the same time ground water levels are getting lower, so trees are unable to get water from the ground and die, so the roots will die too and won’t be able to hold the ground together. It’s getting harder and harder pumping drinking water from the ground. Next to that, salt seawater is normally held back in the ground by the ground water, but because it’s level is getting lower while the sea level is rising, salt seawater is making it’s way into the ground, killing more greenery because it’s polluting the groundwater and making it undrinkable. So I may be forced to move, as well as most inhabitants here if this shit continues. 10 to 12 million people forced to relocate due to lack of water AND too much water at the same time. Weird AF.

• Shardikprime@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      26 days ago

Please do so, there is nothing more we love here in LATAM as clueless gringos arriving to be easily robbed

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        26 days ago

Ha! Jokes on you! I’m poor because I have to spend 1900 euros per month on rent alone so there’s nothing to rob me of. You can’t even rob me of my dignity anymore.

Jokes aside, I’m aware of the major issues Mexico has. I’ve never been there but I would love to visit as it’s a beautiful country. But I’m too chicken to go due to the high crime rate etc. And tickets are too expensive, I wasn’t joking about having no money because my decent salary is being sucked up completely by rent, taxes, bills, insurances and food.

But I’m glad Mexico has elected a leader I could only dream of. I hope she can make a change towards better. Or at least, I hope she is what she looks like. I mean, is she really good or only looks like that (like the president of India). At least she looks like Merkel + + +

• Shardikprime@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          26 days ago

Bro spends in a month more than a local spends in a year and then says he is poor, thinking he has nothing to lose because he lost his “dignity” lmao

Here getting robbed is getting murdered. I suppose you may be entitled to say you have nothing to lose after that

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            26 days ago

I need to spend that much for basics, like food and a roof over my head. I’m basically a slave, I need to work most of my life without being able to build up anything. No saving, buying a house, etc.

But I’m aware I live in one of the wealthiest countries, where I do not have to fear anything no matter where I go. I’m aware I’m extremely lucky to have been born here. I’ve seen how life can be different, when I went on deployment to the Middle East and Africa. I’ve been to horrible places and have seen horrible things.

But life here is extremely expensive. We make more money, but in the end we have nothing left after we payed all the bills to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table. I don’t have much to lose, as I’m depressed AF, alone as my wife left me, stuck with PTSD from when I was in the military, unable to enjoy life anymore somehow. So a holiday in Mexico where I snort loads of cocain with a bunch of hookers before I get robbed and killed doesn’t sound so bad really.

• offspec@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        26 days ago

I’m glad you made this reply on every comment, otherwise I might not have read it 40 times

• Klear@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          26 days ago

To be clear, 37 other comments were deleted by mods. Leaving these final 40 the pick of the mods as the survivors.

• atx_aquarian@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        26 days ago

I think everywhere you’ve posted this has been relevant to those particular threads. I appreciate you carrying that torch.