• plantedworld@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    24 days ago

What happens when I, a potential new Linux user, need to search for how to make something work on Linux and thanks to SEO and AI driven/created search results I can’t find the solution?

• Ravenson@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      24 days ago

Well you already know how to find this place, so find a Linux-themed instance and either ask your question or better yet post a “guide” telling people to resolve your problem by doing some wrong method you’ve already tried so that someone else calls you an idiot and posts the correct answer out of spite.

• Go-On-A-Steam-Train@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      24 days ago

I just switched over to Mint from Windows 10 a month ago, and besides from setting up my quirky USB audio for music making, I was astonished as I rarely needed to look anything up. :)

Using DuckDuckGo helped I think, but presently, most of my questions I searched came back with forums with real people talking, which was lovely.

I remember trying this in 2010 and… nope, everything was a project, command lines everywhere, and it was a pig. I was very impressed this time, everything quietly worked. :) Even every steam game I threw at it, even ruddy GTA San Andreas, which never ran for me on Window 10!

The searches/sticking points I looked up were

• what the heck am I doing with partitions. (eventually nuked windows anyway)
      • how do I get my specific USB audio card thingy to work.*
      • how to mod fallout new vegas** (gave up and reinstalled on a windows pc, too many .exes)
      • how to auto-mount a second hard drive for steam so I don’t have to click the disk every time I boot.

*there was actually a human-made guide for my usb audio when I searched on DuckDuckGo, which was made by an utter saint of a person!

** it ran fine, but I was in the middle of a save, so wanted to keep my mod loadout :)

• bluewing@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      24 days ago

If you want to search for AI solutions to problems because forums are either too slow to answer or you get no answer at all. I’ve been using Phind for my Linux issues with Fedora, (a recent switch and I’m not all that familiar with it yet), and it’s an AI that is supposed to be aimed at programmers and Devs.

So far, for my meager needs, it’s worked VERY well. So between Phind and RTFM, I haven’t found an issue I can’t work through.

• Negligent_Embassy@links.hackliberty.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      24 days ago

I don’t have first hand experience but I’ve seen a lot of people saying LLMs are really helpful with basic linux questions.

Lemmy would be happy to help most of the time as well

• iopq@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      24 days ago

Ask on matrix, there’s probably a chat room for your distro

SO isn’t bad either, despite lots of old questions