link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    21 days ago

I used to believe the Republican party brought much needed conservatism to the table. There were reasonable concerns that the Democratic party was too heavy handed with implementing morality and over reaching laws. The Democratic party has mostly been in the right side of social permissivness since then and the Republican party has gone fucking crazy Reactionary which they have rebranded as “Conservative”. It has become an intersection dynamic where the Democratic party has become a coalition of progressives and conservatives, who just to want to keep the rights they have. Unfortunately there are many “Team R” fans that don’t recognize that their party no longer represents them.

So short answer, the Democratic party has already absorbed the strengths of the Republican party.

• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      21 days ago

I wonder how much it is the parties changed and how much it is we changed as a people. When I was a kid it was a race to the middle, the majority of the population could vote either way. Now the middle is basically gone and power is from who can get their base motivated.

• Hucklebee@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          21 days ago

For me, a two party system seems really odd too. The flipside though, is having like 18 parties that all represent something, which takes way more cooperation and finding middle ground. This might seem good on paper, but can sometimes lead to indecisiveness or an unwillingness to take unpopular decisions. In the long run, that might cause a country to slowly fall behind on various topics due to a lack of vision.

Source: I’m a Dutch guy who has seen this happen in it’s own country.

• RavenFellBlade@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      21 days ago

And by “keep the rights that they have” they mean virtually unrestricted access to firearms and the right to discriminate against anyone they want protected by a thing guise of “religious freedom” that also magically protects them from discrimination of any kind.

• dariusj18@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        21 days ago

I was speaking of democrats wanting to preserve reproductive rights (privacy) and civil rights for minorities.

• RavenFellBlade@startrek.website
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          20 days ago

My bad. I misread your statement entirely as applying to conservatives and missed the whole “coalition of progressives and” part. I guess my own reactive bullshit was engaged ahead of my critical thinking there. Your points are valid and I was apparently just looking for an argument there.