• arthurpizza@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    21 days ago

People complain now, but they’ll renew their subscription. It’s the same unhealthy relationship people have with Windows.

• Captain Aggravated@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      21 days ago

It is my understanding a lot of people maintain their unhealthy relationship with Windows as a prerequisite for keeping their unhealthy relationship with Adobe.

To be fair, the FOSS community in this area has categorically failed. GIMP’s mission statement is 1. be hateful to use and 2. be capable of editing photographs I guess. Inkscape can’t support CMYK colorspaces so just forget it if there’s an outside chance if it’s going to be printed, Krita can’t draw a circle, Pinta crashes every other thing…hell I wonder if Adobe pays the GIMP team to keep it unusable.

• ChaoticNeutralCzech@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        21 days ago

GIMP’s mission statement is 1. be hateful to use

It hurts to say but you’re right. I was like “can’t you remap the right mouse button to another tool? Everything in the context menu is in the Menu bar regardless” and they responded with “nope, design philosophy”

• pyre@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        21 days ago

yep. I feel like FOSS projects are always made by code monkeys who have no design sensibilities and designers do not touch any of these. a lot of them are not only unusable but uninstallable by the majority of the intended user base. whenever i find something i want to use it’s like:

—cool software. can i double click on an icon and have it ready to use?
        —umm, don’t be ridiculous, normie. you gotta self host it and use the command line to enter some arcane incantations obviously. alternatively you can use these other methods you’ve never heard of. if you need any help you can refer to their respective indecipherable documentation.
        —ok I’ll keep what i have until i find something that’s made for regular human beings, thanks.

• thehatfox@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          21 days ago

A lot of open source graphics software is made by programmers who also need to edit images sometimes. Both the lack of UI polish and featureset choices make more sense when looked at from that angle.

However, a lot of the criticism that gets thrown at these programs is also a bit unfounded. I regularly see people dunking on GIMP for not being a pixel-perfect clone of Photoshop for free. There is more than one way to design an image editor, and inability of some to learn another is really a user issue. GIMP could be better, but it still can and should be GIMP.

• Captain Aggravated@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            20 days ago

GIMP has a well deserved reputation for responding to “this is not nice to use” with “Good!” There are lots of ways to design image editors, sure. Many of those ways are awful.

Blender used to suck, too. Then they made a decision to improve. Which GIMP is bound and determined not to do. So it needs to go in the box with HURD and someone needs to do better from scratch.

• AnUnusualRelic@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            20 days ago

The last time I used pjotoshop was on a relatively new Mac II. I’ve also never had issues with Gimp for some reason.

• bitwolf@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          20 days ago

Many FOSS projects have asked that Designers get involved.

The only project with serious designers I know of are Gnome and Krita.

• Hadriscus@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        21 days ago

Martin Owens is working on CMYK support for Inkscape as we speak, and Gimp releases v3 during the summer if all goes well. Still, they’re small projects with very limited funding. Help them !

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        20 days ago

I use these tools everyday. Yes there are limitations, but for what MOST people need there are solutions. It just depends on what is important to you. Also, you can use the ellipse assistant.

• XeroxCool@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      20 days ago

Because we, the individuals, do not have the power to change it with an individual boycott and need to keep our livelihood intact. Go try to break you unhealthy relationship with petroleum.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        20 days ago

This is actually an excellent comparison. I don’t own a car, and I advocate for the car free lifestyle. I also don’t recommend people using Adobe if possible.

• XeroxCool@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          20 days ago

A car is far from the only consumer of petroleum. Many electrical grids directly use hydrocarbons, construction uses petroleum, public transportation uses petroleum, local shipping uses petroleum, overseas shipping uses petroleum, manufacturing uses petroleum, plastic is made from petroleum, farms run on petroleum… Sure, most of those industries are trying to convert energy sources, but in no way can an individual avoid petroleum consumption and still live. Avoiding windows and Adobe is less insurmountable, but still a powerful stressor for people just trying to make a living.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            19 days ago

This also matches my comparison.

Maybe someone who makes the GIMP uses photoshop. I actively don’t, and I recommend that others stop using it.
            Maybe someone who delivers my food uses petroleum. I actively don’t, and I recommend that others stop using it.

All these elements influence my decisions. If you want to continue promoting Adobe and Big Oil, that’s on you.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                18 days ago

My desktop was given to me by my job. My laptop, I rode a bicycle to my friends house and paid him cash. What does that have to do with my promotion of being Adobe free?

• XeroxCool@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  17 days ago

You really are hands-off on this petroleum situation. You’ve got no part in it. It’s official. Everything in your life is a bike ride away and therefore didn’t use petroleum to get to your locality and didn’t take any to be manufactured. You won

link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    17 days ago

Like, literally no one is stopping you from using Adobe stuff. No need to be salty, you do you. ✌

• kandoh@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 days ago

I need it for work. It’s the industry standard and when I share files between myself and other designers I could potentially bung up a whole project if I’m using GIMP or Affinity by Serif.

• AFaithfulNihilist@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        21 days ago

Adobe basically invented the SaaS model. It’s not really practical to bootleg most Adobe products anymore either so most people break down and just pay the million dollar a year subscription fee so they can keep using it.