• demvoter@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Wow, that is super sketchy. Now I am not at all surprised this happened. Hope that company has a shit ton of insurance.

• TheFroggy@lemmynsfw.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Also, I’ve seen so many Scientific deepwater vehicles that are thethered to the ship in some form. Why isn’t this thing hooked up to a cran yhat can get it back up if someone fails? I’d think passenger vessels should pass more rigurous safety standards than that.

Are they liable btw or is the “international waters” situation doing them any favor?

• CarbonIceDragon@pawb.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I seem to recall a point in that CBS video where they had to sign a waiver stating among other things that they acknowledged it was an experimental vessel that is not certified by or approved any regulatory agency, so, yeah. I don’t know that I’d count on there being rigorous safely standards in that case

• NattyNatty2x4@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

There’s also a conspiracy that my farts smell like rancid carrots because the government puts carrots up my butt while I’m sleeping

• mobyduck648@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

An easily disproved one too, as the sister ships weren’t actually identical. Also the recent scan on the ship revealed the hull number 401 on one of the propellers putting another nail in the coffin of the idea the ship is actually the Olympic.

• BlueDiamond@rammy.site
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Oh i hate that stupid theory. That’s like top tier “looking for a conspiracy because we’ve got nothing better to do”

• FaceDeer@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

They’re playing a really long game if so. Submarines like this weren’t even conceived of yet when the Titanic went down, it’d take tremendous foresight to have set this up.

• Storksforlegs@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

It’s not a great theory. I’m pretty sure it would have made more money transporting passengers hundreds of times over