• Onii-Chan@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Built with shit from Home Depot, controlled with a literal Logitech game controller, construction pipes as ballast… holy fuck, why would anybody agree to go 3.7km below the surface of the ocean in that deathtrap?

• StringTheory@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Made out of a fiberglass tube (catastrophic failure) and titanium end caps (cracks) instead of steel.

“Steel is real.”

• Pigeon@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Titanium cracks under pressure, I take it?

Or is the join between the cap and the fiberglass body potentially more of a problem?

• rustyspoon@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Everything cracks under pressure, I’m not exactly sure what the above commenter is getting at. If the sub was steel the walls would be thinner. With titanium the walls are thicker. Without knowing the dimensions of the material we can’t know whether it was built to high enough standards.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I would be worried about both. Joining two very different materials that need to deal with crazy pressures seems like a really bad idea.

• ZapBeebz@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I mean, anything will crack under pressure. The biggest issue I see is uneven compression of the two materials coupled with different fatigue behaviors. I’d feel a lot safer if the whole submarine was titanium, honestly. Barring that, a couple inches of solid steel would be just as comforting.

• Uniquitous@lemmy.one
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

As I understand it, titanium is strong but brittle. It won’t bend, but it will break.

• demvoter@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Wow, that is super sketchy. Now I am not at all surprised this happened. Hope that company has a shit ton of insurance.

• TheFroggy@lemmynsfw.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Also, I’ve seen so many Scientific deepwater vehicles that are thethered to the ship in some form. Why isn’t this thing hooked up to a cran yhat can get it back up if someone fails? I’d think passenger vessels should pass more rigurous safety standards than that.

Are they liable btw or is the “international waters” situation doing them any favor?

• CarbonIceDragon@pawb.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I seem to recall a point in that CBS video where they had to sign a waiver stating among other things that they acknowledged it was an experimental vessel that is not certified by or approved any regulatory agency, so, yeah. I don’t know that I’d count on there being rigorous safely standards in that case

• NattyNatty2x4@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

There’s also a conspiracy that my farts smell like rancid carrots because the government puts carrots up my butt while I’m sleeping

• mobyduck648@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

An easily disproved one too, as the sister ships weren’t actually identical. Also the recent scan on the ship revealed the hull number 401 on one of the propellers putting another nail in the coffin of the idea the ship is actually the Olympic.

• BlueDiamond@rammy.site
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Oh i hate that stupid theory. That’s like top tier “looking for a conspiracy because we’ve got nothing better to do”

• FaceDeer@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

They’re playing a really long game if so. Submarines like this weren’t even conceived of yet when the Titanic went down, it’d take tremendous foresight to have set this up.

• Storksforlegs@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

It’s not a great theory. I’m pretty sure it would have made more money transporting passengers hundreds of times over

• BobQuasit@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I find it strangely hard to care about the fate of a handful of multimillionaire tourists when hundreds of refugees died last week due to the indifference of the Greek authorities - and the media barely noticed.

• CeruleanRuin@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I am, however, enjoying the gradual turn from the search and rescue efforts to assigning blame and pointing out all the noted issues with the vessel that went missing - and the pushback from people saying it was completely safe.

History repeats itself.

• CeruleanRuin@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

We should all just be glad that James Cameron wasn’t on board. Imagine never getting another one of his movies because he Heart -of-the-Ocean’ed himself.

• TheOtherJake@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

…officials are working to get a remotely operated vehicle that can reach a depth of 6,000 meters (about 20,000 feet) to the site as soon as possible.

The 5-person submersible, named Titan, is capable of diving 4,000 meters or 13,120 ft. “with a comfortable safety margin,” OceanGate said in its filing with the court.

but…after looking up on Wikipedia

…a wreck that lies over 12,000 feet (3,700 m) below the surface…

• neuropean@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think they’re advertising the depth limit of the recovery vehicle, not claiming that the wreck is actually at 20,000 feet.

• Pigeon@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It might be best practice to use a vessel rated for considerably deeper than you actually go, in case of some problem in the hull?

• Pigeon@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

And/or it’s just a description of a particular vehicle they’re bringing that was most convenient to get there quickly.

• FaceDeer@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Maybe they’re concerned that it no-clipped through the sea bottom and wound up deeper than the Titanic’s current location?

• Great Meh
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

What I dont get is that one of the passengers was a billionaire. He could have built himself the fanciest and safest vessel for a few Million Dollars with a whole naval operation attached. Of course thats a lot more than 250K but still nothing for a billionaire. These people are so out of touch and cheap its insane.

• TheTrueLinuxDev@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It goes to prove that billionaires are just as gullible as the rest of the people, all they had was just money and assets, it doesn’t grant them wisdom or intelligence.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

That much money must give you incredible hubris: up until this point you’ve never had a problem that money couldn’t fix (or ease) for you.

Unfortunately, you can’t bribe physics.

• not_amm@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Why do that when you can cut costs, and how would it be possible for them not to ensure their safety? I don’t think they cut costs like the clients, I don’t think they would put lites at risk just for the sake of some extra dollars to the pocket of the CEO. /s

• Dane@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Even if I had a stupid amount of money, there’s no way in hell I would pay someone to stuff me inside what seems to be an over-sized propane tank, then send me to depths where the water pressure is so extreme it will literally crush you.

Just…no.

• Kleinbonum@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I particularly like the part where this specific submersible can’t ever be opened from the inside, because it gets bolted shut from outside.

• PoopSnatchXtreme@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

You wouldn’t want to open it down there, but also I don’t know why anyone would want to be down there in the first place.

• itsYaBoyNoodles@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

You definitely wouldn’t. But what about if you made it to the surface in an emergency? I’d probably want to open it at that point. Someone mentioned how the sub reminds them of Apollo 1 and I tend to agree. So many poor choices were made!

• TheLoneMinon@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This shits going to keep happening as companies continue to rush commercialization of “Extreme” Travel.

• SaintLunatic@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

According to the article there is a metal eating bacteria that’s eating the titanic? And it the wreckage might be gone in a few decades?

That’s incredible

• ZapBeebz@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I am hopeful, but not necessarily optimistic…if it lost power and descended below crush depth, no amount of life support is bringing them back.

• Pigeon@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Someone else in the other thread about this said they have magnetically attached ballasts that can be jettisoned so the sub floats if power is lost.

It’s also designed to go down to the floor where the Titanic is. Was it also passing over deeper water? I’dve assumed they’d release it from a boat above the titantic fairly directly.

• Tin@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This may be true, but how much time does it take to surface to avoid decompression sickness if they are found? This, of course, assumes that the surface in the same vehicle.

• mobyduck648@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

The inhabitants of the submarine aren’t under pressure directly like scuba divers are, they’re at atmospheric pressure while inside which is why the pressure hull needs to be so strong to resist the hundreds of PSI outside - it’s the pressure difference that crushes things in this case. If they are rescued there’ll be no requirement to decompress slowly as their bodies were never under pressure and at risk of the bends (when nitrogen bubbles form in your blood with often lethal results) to begin with.

The inhabitants of the Kursk during that submarine disaster were subjected to high pressure in their last hours but that was because the water slowly flooding their compartment compressed the air like a piston, this isn’t a concern for this submarine as it goes far deeper than the Kursk and the slightest fracture to the hull would kill them instantly in a violent implosion.

• khalic@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I hope there’s some kind of black box… what would be worse than it happenning again one day because we don’t know what happenned.

• ZapBeebz@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s controlled with a knockoff Xbox controller. I’ll bet the “black box” is a cassette recorder bought from Goodwill for $3 and then spray painted black

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

BBC said that this sub (Titan) was damaged last year, and this was its first dive since being “repaired.”

I’m betting it didn’t have a black box, and we’ll never know if the “repair” was the cause.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

That is the worst part to me. This kid’s main interests were Rubik’s cubes and volleyball. At least all these old guys had an interest in the Titanic and knew what they were getting into.

I feel bad for the kid.

• kingofmadcows@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Gabe Newell, yes the owner of Valve/Steam, has an ocean research organization that owns a submarine designed to dive down to 10km, to some of the deepest parts of the ocean.

• CarbonIceDragon@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

To be fair, even if no vehicle that could rescue it from the bottom is available, that doesn’t mean that there is no use in a rescue mission if they don’t know where the sub is. For instance, it could have surfaced but had it’s communications lost, in which case they’d still need rescue, because based on a CBS video of the sub in question shared elsewhere on the thread, the thing doesn’t actually have a hatch and just has the front taken off and then bolted back on afterwards to let people in and out, and obviously is going to be airtight given it’s a sub and all.