• Onii-Chan@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Built with shit from Home Depot, controlled with a literal Logitech game controller, construction pipes as ballast… holy fuck, why would anybody agree to go 3.7km below the surface of the ocean in that deathtrap?

• StringTheory@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Made out of a fiberglass tube (catastrophic failure) and titanium end caps (cracks) instead of steel.

“Steel is real.”

• Pigeon@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Titanium cracks under pressure, I take it?

Or is the join between the cap and the fiberglass body potentially more of a problem?

• rustyspoon@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Everything cracks under pressure, I’m not exactly sure what the above commenter is getting at. If the sub was steel the walls would be thinner. With titanium the walls are thicker. Without knowing the dimensions of the material we can’t know whether it was built to high enough standards.

• StringTheory@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I would be worried about both. Joining two very different materials that need to deal with crazy pressures seems like a really bad idea.

• ZapBeebz@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I mean, anything will crack under pressure. The biggest issue I see is uneven compression of the two materials coupled with different fatigue behaviors. I’d feel a lot safer if the whole submarine was titanium, honestly. Barring that, a couple inches of solid steel would be just as comforting.

• Uniquitous@lemmy.one
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

As I understand it, titanium is strong but brittle. It won’t bend, but it will break.

• demvoter@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Wow, that is super sketchy. Now I am not at all surprised this happened. Hope that company has a shit ton of insurance.

• TheFroggy@lemmynsfw.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Also, I’ve seen so many Scientific deepwater vehicles that are thethered to the ship in some form. Why isn’t this thing hooked up to a cran yhat can get it back up if someone fails? I’d think passenger vessels should pass more rigurous safety standards than that.

Are they liable btw or is the “international waters” situation doing them any favor?

• CarbonIceDragon@pawb.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I seem to recall a point in that CBS video where they had to sign a waiver stating among other things that they acknowledged it was an experimental vessel that is not certified by or approved any regulatory agency, so, yeah. I don’t know that I’d count on there being rigorous safely standards in that case

• NattyNatty2x4@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

There’s also a conspiracy that my farts smell like rancid carrots because the government puts carrots up my butt while I’m sleeping

• mobyduck648@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

An easily disproved one too, as the sister ships weren’t actually identical. Also the recent scan on the ship revealed the hull number 401 on one of the propellers putting another nail in the coffin of the idea the ship is actually the Olympic.

• BlueDiamond@rammy.site
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Oh i hate that stupid theory. That’s like top tier “looking for a conspiracy because we’ve got nothing better to do”

• FaceDeer@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

They’re playing a really long game if so. Submarines like this weren’t even conceived of yet when the Titanic went down, it’d take tremendous foresight to have set this up.

• Storksforlegs@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

It’s not a great theory. I’m pretty sure it would have made more money transporting passengers hundreds of times over