• StringTheory@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Made out of a fiberglass tube (catastrophic failure) and titanium end caps (cracks) instead of steel.

“Steel is real.”

• Pigeon@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Titanium cracks under pressure, I take it?

Or is the join between the cap and the fiberglass body potentially more of a problem?

• rustyspoon@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Everything cracks under pressure, I’m not exactly sure what the above commenter is getting at. If the sub was steel the walls would be thinner. With titanium the walls are thicker. Without knowing the dimensions of the material we can’t know whether it was built to high enough standards.

• StringTheory@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I would be worried about both. Joining two very different materials that need to deal with crazy pressures seems like a really bad idea.

• ZapBeebz@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I mean, anything will crack under pressure. The biggest issue I see is uneven compression of the two materials coupled with different fatigue behaviors. I’d feel a lot safer if the whole submarine was titanium, honestly. Barring that, a couple inches of solid steel would be just as comforting.

• Uniquitous@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

As I understand it, titanium is strong but brittle. It won’t bend, but it will break.