I’m asking because as a light-skinned male, I always use the standard Simpsons yellow. I don’t really see other light-skinned people using an emoji that matches their skin tone, but often do see people of color use them. Maybe white people don’t naturally realize a need to be explicit with emoji skin-tone or perhaps it’s seen as implicitly identifying or requesting white privilege.

• Is there a significance to using skin-tone emojis, and if so, what is it?

• Assuming there might be a racial movement attached to the first question, how does my use of emojis, both Simpsons yellow and light-skin, interact with or contribute to that?

Note: I am an autistic white Latino-American cis-gendered man that aims to be socially just.

Autistic text stim: blekh 😝 blekh 😝 blekh 😝 blekh 😝 blekh 😝 !!

• Today@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

Like emoji blackface?

In one app I’m a girl with medium skin tone and dark hair. In another I’m a pale boy with red blond hair. No idea how either one was chosen.

• snooggums@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

Only if you are using them to convey some kind of racist message or pretending to be someone of color.

• brbposting@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

Without necessarily offering an opinion myself, there’s absolutely a chance someone views it as being in poor taste, thus at the least I would avoid doing it outside of conversations with those you know well.

• OlPatchy2Eyes@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

Other responses are kind of fence-sitting so I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say yeah it’s poor taste, but forgiveable. I think it just boils down to why would you use a skin tone that’s not yours? Some people like having an emoji that’s they share with others of their color, so why intrude on that?