Quake II is back - and it’s cross-platform and cross-play too!

• coyotino [he/him]@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I have zero nostalgia for Quake (i was 5 when it came out lol), but i wonder how this will do! Quake Champions didn’t seem to light the world on fire, but i wonder if the multiplayer scene here will blow up.

• cassetti@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Quake itself was ok. The multiplayer version was fun. But the real fun started when people began modding the game. The original Team Fortress was actually a free mod for Quake which I’m pretty sure quickly became the most popular instance of the game for online play.

Funny random tidbit, I actually remember playing the game with one dude who specifically had to brag about having a high powered 1ghz processor as his username in the game (something like 1gigahertz or something cheesy like that). Pretty sure back then I was still rocking a 700mhz AMD Athlon Thunderbird processor.

• UKFilmNerd@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

The mods were fantastic. One that always sticks in my mind was Quake Rally. I think you controlled a car and drove it through the standard levels or some new maps, I can’t remember, it’s been so long.

• roguetrick@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I never got into quake 2 multiplayer and I was old enough for it. Quake then half life team fortress for me.

• MattBoySlim@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I was basically in the same boat. I didn’t have a PC powerful enough to run Quake 2 well at the time. I could do Quake 1, and played the hell out of it, but Q2 was a complete slideshow. By the time I was able to upgrade it was Half-Life days, so Q2 multiplayer will always be a missing chunk of PC FPS history for me.