Daily reminder that sites “protected” by cloudflare are effectively MITM attacks. HTTPS is now even more worthless. Cloudflare can see everything. this is a known fact and not a theory.

And if you think Cloudflare aren’t being tapped by the NSA, you’re sadly sadly naive.

All the “privacy respecting” sites use it too. So remember, as soon as you see that cloudflare portal page, you can assume that everything you plug into the site is property of NSA Inc. Trust no one, and do not trust code being served to you over the web if it comes through CF, there is no way to know what they’ve modified.

Edit: good info link below https://serverfault.com/questions/662946/does-cloudflare-know-the-decrypted-content-when-using-a-https-connection

• Tinkerer@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    24 days ago

So what provider does everyone recommend instead of cloudflare for proxy? I use cloudflare to protect all my websites but I’ve been trying to find some other place to proxy them from.

• Tinkerer@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        24 days ago

I mean no but the added security kind of trumps everything else. It helps to not expose my public IP and the added bonus of firewall rules too.

• orcrist@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          23 days ago

That all depends on your setup. If your website is on a VPS, why are you adding the extra security? Are you adding extra security? I think one of the points is that you’re taking away security.

And if you need firewall rules, maybe you should put the firewall rules on your firewall. Why would you rely on someone else’s firewall?

• Tinkerer@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            23 days ago

I host all my stuff locally including my nginx proxy manager and I do also have opnsense firewall rules with geoip blocking as well.

• InFerNo@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      23 days ago

Does your site actually need protection from cloudflare? Have you been attacked?