Living in a walkable city means my weekly shop is a few hours of walking or biking instead of being stuck in traffic, and I’m only mildly tired afterwards since I use a bike with pretty large pannier bags. Since I have no car related costs I can afford more fresh food, a healthier diet, and I can afford to be more choosy about the ethics of what I buy. There’s a twice weekly farmers market about a ten minute walk away, and quiet walks through parks to get to the shops. Living somewhere with car centric infrastructure, as I used to, this lifestyle was far less feasible.

Have your experiences been different with moving to walkable/bikeable cities? Any questions or points to be made? I’m not very up on the theory side of city planning, but my experiences line up with the whole “fuck cars” thing.

• Successful_Try543@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      20 days ago

Cucumbers stay much longer fresh when tightly wrapped in plastics.

Edit: No need to downvote. I don’t like that either.

• The Snark Urge@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      20 days ago

I dunno man, they literally aren’t sold any other way in this whole country AFAIK. It was the same in the states, the only ones they sell out of plastic are the gross ones with thick skin

• AdamEatsAss@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        20 days ago

Can confirm all the “good” cucumbers in the USA are shrink wrapped, unless you buy at a farmers market. I think it’s a distribution and storage issue and the plastic keeps it fresh longer. My wife and I both hate it, it so hard to get the plastic off, and its no good for the planet.

• AA5B@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          18 days ago

I don’t know about all the good ones, but yes, at my grocery, two of the three types of cucumbers sold are wrapped in plastic. I prefer the “normAl” cucumbers in bulk anyway, but occasionally get the English cucumbers or mini cucumbers despite them being 8n plastic

• Fenrisulfir@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      20 days ago

The cukes in Canada are individually shrink wrapped like this and then 3 off them are bundled together in even more plastic to be sold as a set for $5+

• Branch_Ranch@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 days ago

A grocery store I frequent has 4 cobs of corn, lightly trimmed as to see the kernals. And they’re packaged like a steak. 🤦‍♂️