Trying to de-google and looking for an alternative to Gmail.

Don’t mind if it’s a paid service if it’s robust.

• kostel_thecreed@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

What made you adamant on getting proton? Curious, cause I could mention some cheaper, but very competent email services.

• CraigeryTheKid@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

oh I wouldn’t say I’m “adamant” - but to answer your question I was looking to unGoogle my Google Drive and GMail, and Proton popped up pretty quick for having both. I’m currently paying for Private Internet Access VPN, but once that expires I could also get a 3rd function out of Proton with their VPN. I also want my new mail service to allow custom domains, which Proton also does.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Yeah drive is a pretty good feature. Do be warned though, proton’s overall Linux support is bad, including the VPN and drive. $8 for unlimited (which comes with everything you mentioned) a month is a little steep, but if you’ll use the VPN and the email it’s definitely worth it. Enjoy man.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

I also use Windows. I get the attraction of Linux, I use it for my selfhosting, but I absolutely hate it for day-to-day operations or work. So, don’t feel too bad about it, people love shoving shit down others throats.