Trying to de-google and looking for an alternative to Gmail.

Don’t mind if it’s a paid service if it’s robust.

• lastweakness@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Skiff or Protonmail.

Skiff gives you 10 GBs of storage and also comes with a drive and a Notion-like Pages app. They even let you add custom domain for free. The only disadvantages are the non-native Android or iOS apps that just feel off and the limits on folders and filters.

ProtonMail only gives 1GB of storage and stuff like custom domains, aliases, etc are all paid features. The Android app is decent but missing some basic features that you only notice when you actually use it (select and delete when searching for example). Definitely the most robust mail service there is though. With Proton Unlimited, you also get stuff like per-site aliases using SimpleLogin, Proton VPN, Proton Drive, Proton Calendar and Proton Pass. But if I’m being honest, only the Mail and VPN are truly complete products.

• hikaru755@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Proton drive also seems pretty compete to me, now that they have a desktop app that’s working really well (at least for windows, don’t know about other OS’s)

• lastweakness@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

No sync functionality on Android and no webdav or such, so no support for apps like FolderSync. Also, no client for Linux and macOS.

• SethranKada@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I agree, it’s pretty functional. Only issue I’ve had with it is it’s pretty slow, and if you need to upload a lot of files quickly your out of luck.

My boss had me take a couple hundred pictures with my cell, and I didn’t want to waste my time trying to send via sms, so I uploaded then to my drive and shared them. It took 2 hours just to upload them.

• hikaru755@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

a couple hundred pictures

send via sms

(⁠⊙⁠_⁠◎⁠)

Seriously though, that’s interesting. When I moved all my stuff over from Sync to Proton Drive, the upload took about as long as expected, with my uplink being used quite well, at least when larger files were being uploaded.

• SethranKada@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Yah, even as long as it took, there was no way I was texting him those photos.

I don’t think it was limited by connection speed. I usually get about 1mb down and half that upload, and with each photo about 2mb that should have finished in less than five minutes.

• asap@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

With Proton Unlimited, you also get stuff like per-site aliases using SimpleLogin, Proton VPN, Proton Drive, Proton Calendar and Proton Pass. But if I’m being honest, only the Mail and VPN are truly complete products.

SimpleLogin is fantastic with a custom domain. Game changer for signing up to websites, especially if you use Bitwarden because they integrate seamlessly. I have paid Proton so the premium version is included for free. Not sure how the free version compares.

• lastweakness@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

SimpleLogin is integrated directly into Proton Pass and Proton Pass has the ability to save them as “Aliases”. So that’s been really neat. I’ve been finding myself using Proton Pass over Bitwarden lately due to how the Proton Pass app syncs the vault better on Android and how the Aliases feature works better with the in-page autofill that Proton Pass has.

• asap@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

I’ve not noticed any issues with Bitwarden on Android in the last 2 years of using it - what was happening for you?

Currently BW seems like a bulletproof solution, but it’s good to have options.

• asap@feddit.de
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

On my Samsung there is an accessibility button at the far right of the navigation bar. You can configure this to wake up Bitwarden and make it available to autofill (long press). Once I set that up I haven’t had any issues with autofill.

You can pull down in the Android app to refresh, so that solves the problem in your link.

• Saneless@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Agree on Skiff. It’s like the app keeps reloading like if you used an ereader to check your mail