• d00phy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    17 days ago

TBH, I’ve never thought Jaques was a very good driver. His WDC came driving probably the most technologically advanced car ever built. After that, he really didn’t do much. Saying Ricciardo’s image has kept him in F1 carries some irony with it.

Edit: I probably overstated it before. Jacques isn’t a bad driver. I just never thought his talent warranted the amount of praise he got. I see a lot of similarities between him and Ricciardo. Both are/were “good enough.” I think Daniel is probably more talented, though.

• woelkchen@lemmy.worldOPM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      17 days ago

I think Daniel is probably more talented, though.

Too bad he doesn’t have more titles in a spec series like IndyCar to prove it, though. Jacques Villeneuve won the IndyCar championship in the 1990s, Daniel Ricciardo won 8 races in 12 years and no junior formula titles after British Formula 3 Championship in 2009.

Daniel Ricciardo is a charming person. I like him and the higher ups at RB seem to be also charmed by him. He’s not in F1 on merit.

• Guntrigger@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      17 days ago

He was also a generational talent and it always felt a bit like he was where he was because of his dad more than anything.

• d00phy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        17 days ago

His dad’s legacy definitely followed him around his whole career.

Also, FWIW, he’s not a bad driver at all. He still had to show up in the lower formulae to generate interest in F1. Plus, Williams was a top team at the time. They didn’t need a media darling who brought money. Most drivers at the time would’ve loved to drive for them.

• Guntrigger@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          17 days ago

That’s true and I was a fan of his at the time. Much like I’m a fan of Ricciardo while agreeing entirely with Villeneuve’s words!