arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        19 days ago

I point you to the definition of “replace”

Replace : to restore to a former place or position

2: to take the place of especially as a substitute or successor

3: to put something new in the place of

If you take something apart and build something new from it, you aren’t replacing anything, you’re building something. You’ve replaced Theseus’s boat with a wagon.

If you take my grandfather’s axe (I replaced the handle twice and the head once) and whittle it down into a cane, you haven’t replaced the handle you’ve made a cane.

• Peppycito@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            19 days ago

I was small, now I’m big and hairy, I’m still a human. I didn’t grow up and turn into a cat.

The point of the thought experiment is, if you take a thing apart and remake it with entirely new parts, is it the same thing? It is not about taking something apart and turning those parts into something else.

The Wagon of Theseus thought experiment is “if you take apart a boat and turn it into a wagon, is it still a boat?”

• ☆ Yσɠƚԋσʂ ☆@lemmy.mlOP
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              19 days ago

The question is if you could change little things about yourself over time, would you still be you? This is a question of identity, how much can we change and still remain ourselves?

Think about it this way: if you could use something like CRISPR to slightly alter your genes, maybe grow scales or gills, would those cumulative changes eventually turn you into someone else entirely?

Or consider this: what if you started replacing body parts with prosthetics – an arm, then a heart, and so on, until your whole body was artificial and completely different. At what point would you cross that line from you to something new?

• Peppycito@sh.itjust.works
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                19 days ago

eventually your body was replaced by a new artificial one

But that’s not what the comic is about. If we followed the comic, your body would eventually be turned into an airplane.

• ☆ Yσɠƚԋσʂ ☆@lemmy.mlOP
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  19 days ago

That’s exactly what the comic is about. If we follow the artificial replacement of your body argument, then over time you could change it into an airplane. Would you stop being you at that point?