• aeronmelon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      18 days ago

Always thinking of the outtake where she’s talking to a Starbase and a guy off-camera does a fake feminine voice in response to her line and her eyes just light up and she says “Hey, suger.” in the most genuinely sultry voice I’ve ever heard her use.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
        cake
        M
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        18 days ago

In most other circumstances, I think it would have been sort of creepy, but I went to a Star Trek convention as a kid just after Star Trek V came out and she was the guest and some fan came up to the mic during questions time and said, “I don’t have a question, I just saw Star Trek V and I wanted to tell you that you still have the best legs in the galaxy.”

Like I said, creepy in many instances, but she was 57 when he said it and she spent years as a dancer (she’s one of the main dancers in the film of Porgy and Bess), so she definitely appreciated the compliment. It got a massive cheer too, and not just from the men.

• xantoxis@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      18 days ago
      • Fair + maiden

“Neither” means

• not fair (because she’s black); this would probably not be an issue for censors
      • not a maiden (because she’s had sex); they might not have liked this one.
      • body_by_make@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        18 days ago

Oh interesting, I took neither to mean not fair because she doesn’t fight fair and not maiden because she doesn’t want to be treated that way by him. I actually didn’t know maiden was tied to sex at all 🤔

• xantoxis@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          18 days ago

Yeah it’s the literal meaning but not many people use it that way. I’m not surprised the censors let this one slide, even if it was in the script they wouldn’t have got it.

• Nah. You could always at least reference fucking as long as you didn’t use the word “fucking.” Now if she had insinuated that she farted, that would have been immediately barred. Farts couldn’t even be referenced.

Source: George Carlin

• BigBananaDealer@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          18 days ago

the mamas and the papas got into a lot of trouble when their album cover showed a BRACE YOURSELF WARNING toilet

• mosiacmango@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        18 days ago

Im betting the “not fair” would still have been an issue as it draws attention to race, which was pretty taboo at the time.

Her and Shatners kiss was the first interracial kiss on television, and it caused all sorts of issues.

• FordBeeblebrox@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    18 days ago

One of the most brilliant lines from TOS, I bet they all had a chuckle when it aired. Nichols should be in history books alongside Rosa Parks, aside from ‘the kiss’ her work with NASA was awesome.