people have been demonizing it for most of the AD years i think but it’s quite pleasant really. are there any proven negative effects?

• Stupidmanager@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    19 days ago

Pretty sad when religion claims to abhor evil, happens to be the source of a lot of it. Right? I can’t name a single thing religion ever did for me other than make me miserable.

• DeltaTangoLima@reddrefuge.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      19 days ago

IMO, and without actual data to back it up, I reckon religion (and religious difference) is responsible for the most suffering throughout the history of humankind.

• Confused_Emus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        19 days ago

I feel like even without religion we’d find ways to make each other miserable ‘cause we’re just an awesome species like that.

• DeltaTangoLima@reddrefuge.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          19 days ago

Yeah, no dispute here, mate. We’re pretty shocking like that. But I think religion stands out as an example of the worst, most inventive way we’ve come up with to subjugate and hurt people.

As a species, we’ve convinced ourselves that religion should be protected rather than inspected. We let lots of bad things happen in the name of religion. It’s bullshit.

• pearable@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      18 days ago

I don’t think it’s the source. I think it’s a tool of social control that enables the powerful to create a bare minimum willingness to be ruled. For a long time the doctrine of Christianity was the Divine Right of Kings. Now it’s the Prosperity Gospel. The books did not change but the people with all the money and power ensured the church leaders who served their interest had most of the money and thus followers.

If we didn’t have religion, some other social construct would arise, and I’d argue, has arisen to fulfill it’s role. Modern economic theory justifies the current power order in an unfalsifiable way that reminds me of religion.

Religion could be a liberatory force in society. In fact it has been. The liberation theology movement in South America and numerous heretical movements in the late medieval period are both examples of progressive Christian social movements.