• farcaller@fstab.sh
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      18 days ago

Looking at the resource usage of mine, a tiny cheap VPS for $4/mo would be enough, sans the image store. But it’s not a hard requirement unless you expect to have lots of local communities posting pictures.

Lemmy’s issue is that it’s non-trivial to deploy and oftentimes painful to upgrade.

• cheddar@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        17 days ago

But it’s not a hard requirement unless you expect to have lots of local communities posting pictures.

Doesn’t lemmy sync posts, comments, and pictures with other instances? I remember after a CP attack some instances manually turned it off in the code to avoid troubles, and also had to clear their storage.

• farcaller@fstab.sh
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          17 days ago

It absolutely does. Think of lemmy like of email – your mail server has all the email you received.

• Kalcifer@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        17 days ago

Looking at the resource usage of mine, a tiny cheap VPS for $4/mo would be enough

Not including the time cost to manage it.

• Jeena@jemmy.jeena.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      18 days ago

Yeah something like the CX22 https://www.hetzner.com/cloud/ which is € 4.51 / month is enough for lemmy.

What I do instead is I host a series of services on my VPS and I pay about 20 EUR/month

• Lemmy
      • Mastodon
      • PeerTube
      • my ruby on rails website + blog
      • my old PHP website + blog
      • another old PHP blog
      • my sisters PHP website
      • my sisters static website
      • Firefox Sync server
      • my bands static website
      • a matrix server with some bridges
      • a syncthing instance
      • a TTRSS instance
      • another static website

and I probably forgot some things.

• ericatty@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        17 days ago

Love this! Did you start out on the Fediverse or did you start on another and then move to your own?

I ask because I’ve been considering hosting my own for the family. I already have a server.

The thing holding me back is I’ve gotten my Mastodon and Lemmy accounts really nice with content and it’s daunting to think of moving/remaking accounts.

• Jeena@jemmy.jeena.net
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          17 days ago

Yeah, both with Mastodon, PeerTube and Lemmy I started on my own instances. Actually not quite, I had an Mastadon account for a day somewhere before I decided that I want to use it for real and installed my own instance.