I have self hosted immich on Debian on my homelab. I have also setup tailscale to be able to access it outside my home.

Sometime ago, I was able to purchase a domain of my choice from GoDaddy. While I am used to hosting stuff on Linux, I’ve never exposed it for access publicly. I want to do that now.

Is it something I can do within tailscale or do I need to setup something like cloudflare? What should I be searching for to learn and implement? What precautions to take? I would like to keep the tailscale thing too.

PS: I would like to host immich as a subdomain like photos.mydomain.com.

Thanks!

• ѕєχυαℓ ρσℓутσρє@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    16 days ago

Without anything extra, there are three ways of doing it:

1. Using Tailscale Funnel
    2. Direct port forwarding in your router, and pointing to the IP using some DDNS provider (e.g. desec.io)
    3. Through Cloudflare tunnel (not recommended due to privacy reasons)

In each case, you’ll need a reverse proxy (e.g. Caddy) if you want secure https connections.

If you’re willing to spend money, the better way would be to proxy through a VPS (using something like a Wireguard tunnel). In that way, you won’t have to open ports on your home router. You can get a very cheap one since proxying doesn’t need much CPU power. Just choose one with enough bandwidth. I personally proxy most of my stuff through a $12/yr RackNerd VPS.