Give us the cheat codes to your industry/place of work!

• CanadaPlus@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      17 days ago

The big populating event was Reddit shutting down API service (about a year ago, happy first cake day to me). Most people don’t know what that is. A lot of people don’t get what federation is, either.

I fully hope and expect that normies will appear as it grows, but for now it’s people nerdy enough to know why we should care.

• Rowan@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      17 days ago

IT folks are exactly the people who will be early adoptors of technology. If lemmy can start growing to something approaching an early majority, then we’ll see a big shift in the demographic of the user base. Unfortunately, that’s a huge gap in expansion.

• TheFriar@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        16 days ago

Well, I’m just an anti-capitalist non-tech person. I barely know anything about what most people seem to consider basic tech knowledge. Fuck that weird pedo ceo of Reddit, fuck that company, fuck corporate greed in general. I’m just here to avoid being forced to take ankther company’s vampiric bullshit.

• spicy pancake@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      16 days ago

I’m currently in the medical field but “IT” is one of my nicknames 💀 every new place I work I try to hide it but I just impulsively fix shit and then end up being expected to fix shit

• Miarolitic@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      17 days ago

Geologist checking in.

Although, I don’t know what LTP means in this context. In my world, it’s “Long Term Planning”.

• charles@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      16 days ago

I’m one of the few that don’t work in tech but it’s arguably the hobby I spend the most time (and money) with so I’m not sure if I really count. I work in emergency management & specialized response services.

• pandarisu@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      14 days ago

I’m not saying I’m in IT, but I’m tired and read the question and thought, “Why are they asking about printers?”