• BubbleMonkey@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    17 days ago

I’ve a strong stomach, and insatiable curiosity.

What kind of gross? Like rabbits eating their own first-pass poo?

(My RN mother used to watch graphic surgical shows during dinner so almost nothing really bothers me…. Except spelunkers getting stuck in caves. Holy fuck does that bother me and I’ll never be in a cave, so very illogical phobia)

• Rose Thorne@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      17 days ago

It’s not just the first pass for a possum. It’s every pass, as it may still carry excess nutrients they now need. They do it from a very young age.

They have a cloyingly sweet feces that stays on whatever fabric you’re wearing while handling poop dishes in rehabs. They prefer moving water, but any water will do. I cannot put the smell into words. It’s burned into your nostrils for hours after.

Cannibalism isn’t uncommon amongst the species, but we have no clue why. They just randomly decide to eat each other.

• BubbleMonkey@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        17 days ago

So wait, they poop in water? Like specifically?

Or am I misunderstanding, and the reason the water movement matters is that they eat shit then drink water? Or something else entirely?

Do they often get disease from consuming their poo? Since they scavenge and all, I assume they probably have decent immune systems, but fecal-oral is a super common disease transmission path.

• Rose Thorne@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          17 days ago

Water specifically. It helps mask the smell, and it’s a frequent spot for one of their favorite foods, frogs. They also fish whatever is left in the water, if any. A lot gets caught on their tails, which frequently dip into the water.

Surprisingly, they’re extremely clean creatures, even with their dietary habits! They rarely carry any known passable diseases, even rabies! In fact, the biggest issue to look for is Metabolic Bone Disorder, or MBD, which is a sign of low calcium, and causes twisting of the bone structure, often leading to death. There is no cure, just slowing the spread.

• Cyrus Draegur@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        17 days ago

No Biomass Left Behind!!! XD

Sounds like opossums will eat anything there is (or might be) nutrition in…