I’m not saying the worst, otherwise I would need to include the star wars sequels or transformers movies… Just some really dumb movie that somehow got praised.

For me has to be Ready Player One. That movie message is so “uhuh” obvious that is stupid, the whole nerd that saves the world in a thing that otherwise would be useless to know in real life… The so over the top evil gaming corporation. The whole 80s and 90s movies and games references get old after half an hour… And it’s so pandering towards the geeks and nerds, they really want the viewer feeling really cool for knowing that is the Shining hallway, or that is a Monty python reference… Or look a GUNDAM! YOU’RE SO COOL FOR COLLECTING THOSE GUN PLA! Look we have also overwatch and halo in the background! You’re so cool modern gamer!

Also the obviously attractive “nerd” hacker girl that thinks she’s ugly and deformed for having a small hard to see red tint in one side of her pretty face… Cmon man. In no universe anyone would think that actress is ugly.

And the message at the end is so hilarious: Look man, you’re cool for getting these references and being a real gamer is cool, but go outside more!

Is like the creators have no self awareness.

• halfeatenpotato@lonestarlemmy.mooo.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    16 days ago

Barbie.

I like Margot Robbie. I like Ryan Gosling. I like fun movies. But idk, it just didn’t really appeal to me, and the plot felt predictable. I don’t regret watching it necessarily, but I also have no interest in watching it again.

• Xer0@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      15 days ago

Barbie movie Predictable

Were you expecting a post-modern masterpiece?

• Fridam@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      15 days ago

I love the idea, to change the gender and show how it would look if women was the dominant sex

I don’t think what they made was plausible. I know, it’s barbie, but I don’t find this version of “woman power” plausible without it changing the gender expressions. Like, how masculinity and being formed by masculinity being an expression of dominans, and therefore changes how men dress, behave and express themselves would change a lot Also, this is not a matriarchy, it is a patriarchy but where the women have the power. I’ve read several books where they flip the sexes, and I’ve found the concept interesting because it points out how much of our society is formed by the patriarchy, for all genders, which makes a lot of fun and interesting situations

• Wild Bill@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        15 days ago

I love the idea, to change the gender and show how it would look if women was the dominant sex

Watch the movie “I Am Not an Easy Man.”

• Toribor@corndog.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      15 days ago

I thought it was fun and I get why it’s been so exceedingly popular but they tried a little too hard to make the concept of Barbie and the concept of womanhood out to be the same thing. For a lot of people that really worked and I think that’s made it harder to criticize.

There are some really top tier moments though which made it easier to forget and forgive all the boring bits.

• ⸻ Ban DHMO 🇦🇺 ⸻@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      14 days ago

I watched this one as a bit of a joke really, kind of left going what the fuck? I usually like it when a movie leaves me feeling like that, but I don’t know it was a bit weird and silly. Would the world magically be better if it were only women running things? Unlikely, all humans are humans there are women on both sides of the political spectrum. Just like men you can’t say that women feel a certain way. I don’t know it was just a bit weird that’s all.

I wanna be clear all of the weird, sexist and political responses aren’t something I support. At the end of the day though is was just an ad for a doll which apparently is responsible for the achievements and ambitions of women in the latter half of the 20th Century. I’m not a woman so I don’t really know

• gjoel@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        14 days ago

I was so confused about the message… Ken went full patriarchy, but then demonstrated that it wasn’t really that bad (also, no horses). So compared to barbieland the real world is absolutely paradise. Then they flip the full-on matriarchal barbieland to complete patriarchy, find that the women don’t like that, do a bit of gender war and go mostly matriarchy because reasons. And than a bitter remark that women have it hard in the real world so men will have it hard in barbieland. It’s all over the place.

The weird pacing, jokes that fall flat and at one point goes all 3 stooges just left me feeling… Empty, afterwards. All that hype, all the people rooting for and against it, people complaining that it didn’t win all the awards… I thought it was a vapid, low quality summer movie.

• ⸻ Ban DHMO 🇦🇺 ⸻@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          14 days ago

At the end of the day it was just an ad for a doll, the “feminism” stuff they did was moreso to attract the twitter blue checks, so that it would be a culture war crime to dissent on it

• rozwud@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      15 days ago

I think it confronted some issues that many of us have been aware of for a long time in a somewhat superficial way. I also think that it brought some conversations into the mainstream that might not have happened otherwise. So I liked it.

• CYB3R@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      15 days ago

The constant attack towards men ruined that movie, it wasn’t even a clever attack just dumb feminism

• TORFdot0@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        15 days ago

The Barbie movie isn’t attacking men, it just lampoons society using the Barbies and Kens as silly caricatures.

Maybe it has a slight vapid girl power message but the real message is “hey remember this Barbie doll? Give us money”

• InputZero@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        15 days ago

While I do agree that it, at times, definitely stepped into ‘dumb femminism’ as you put it. I also acknowledge that it was a movie and to do a discussion on feminism justice it would require a lot more than 2 hours. So a lot got simplified, sometimes too much. I disagree with you that it was a constant attack towards men. The movie went wayyyyy out of its way to make it clear they were attacking patriarchal systems, not men in general. That’s Ken’s whole arc, he’s suffering under patriarchy too. He just also gets the benefits of the patruarchy while he’s suffering. If I had any criticism about the film it was how much it tried to avoid criticizing capitalism and corporate culture’s role.

• CYB3R@lemm.eeOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          15 days ago

Nah I’m sorry but it was an aimed attack. The speech about what society expects from a woman is such bullshit. As a man that is very old school I don’t need woman to look great for me but not enough for other men, or being delicate, or earning less and all that stupidity. The men were the villain in the movie and the butt of the joke…

And the Ken character was fine. Only at the very end was almost shoehorned the “oh actually the system is the problem” and wtf didn’t he got Barbie at the end, she even wanted him at first. Now that he was a better person or whatever why they went separate ways? There’s no satisfactory ending for neither of the characters.

• boogetyboo@aussie.zone
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            15 days ago

Thank you for projecting your experience as an individual man, on the experience of all women re what society expects of them.

Fucking Bravo.

• ___@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              15 days ago

Sorry to break it to you, but everyone projects their own experience. A man’s experience is just as valid, even if you disagree with it.

• CYB3R@lemm.eeOP
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              15 days ago

I’m using me as an example, especially since I’m not a gen Z, but do you really think the average dude feels much different about women? Cmon

• jaemo@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        15 days ago

Wow fuckin’ wooosh with you and that one hey? Only a very weak beta would feel even remotely attacked by that movie. Good luck Chuck!